Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have them? What do you think of them?

·
Registered
2012 Outback Limited, 2.5i
38 Posts
I have them, but I bought my with them already on there. Ive heard others say they installed then afterwards and installed them about an inch higher than instructed. They say it gives better protections, but yes I love mine.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts

i got them on my '13 ob ltd. ordered the car w/ them. just picked it up today. can't say how they work yet but they barely look visible. my car's the brilliant brown pearl. i'll try and post a pic later.

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
I plan on getting them on my 2013. My 300c came with them (they all do) and it took the brunt of a nasty door that ended up denting the little chrome strip that runs along the top of the moulding and chipping the paint on it just below the chrome. It served its purpose and I removed all the moulding shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R Limited
20 Posts
I actually installed them myself, following the instructions that came with the kit. It was really easy to do, and I am very glad I did it. No more than 12 hours after I put them on my car, a shopping cart made a nice little ding right on the driver side door BSM panel. :roll eyes:

·
Registered
12 Outback Premium
9 Posts
I put these and well arch moldings on the week after it came home
Hopefully they will help protect and the reduce damage that invariably occur,
not to mention they look good IMHO

·
Registered
293 Posts
What's everyone's thoughts on the best height to install them for maximum protection? I've heard 1" higher than instructed but is that the best position?

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts
I installed as directed by the instructions last year and have had them protect me a couple of times from dings in parking lots. I'm over 60 and not as flexible as I once was so in order to better see what I was doing during the installation I used two ramps on the side I was installing - front and rear at the same time - to tilt my OB up towards me. I also installed the rear bumber corner moldings - my wife goes to Kohl's and Stop n Shop a lot which are free for alls in the parking lot.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
336 Posts
Another approach

The body side mouldings were not available when I ordered my 2011 OB 3.6R Limited in June, 2010 but had they been available I would not have ordered them as I think they really detract from the appearance of the OB.

My solution is to park away from the other vehicles in the parking lots of our shopping centers. The advantage of this approach is that I get more exercise from the longer walk to the store.

My $0.02. YMMV

Fred Meloan

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
Plenty of threads on this already. I had them on the 2011, they hold debris. I opted to go without them on the 2012 and much happier now. I also think they sit too low on the door to any good. They are not even on the highest part of the curve of the door, but just below the contour so they won't do much for protection either, mainly decoration.

·
Registered
2011 2.5 Premium - Satin White Pearl - 6MT
2 Posts
I installed them on my '11 according to the "template height". When I was washing the car two weeks later, I noticed a 1/8" sizable chunk knocked out of one of them. I can only imagine how hard someone whacked my car with their door to do that, but better the moulding that what it might have done to the paint!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are they steel or plastic? Are they painted or does the color go all the way through?
My wife's 2012 Forester has body moldings and when they chip they rust.

·
Registered
2012 Ice Silver 2.5i Limited
65 Posts
Had them installed by the dealer. Not sure about putting them higher. The OB already sits high. They appear to be made of plastic.

·
Registered
'12 OB 2.5i/CVT Premium
18 Posts
Are they steel or plastic? Are they painted or does the color go all the way through?
My wife's 2012 Forester has body moldings and when they chip they rust.
Plastic, painted; I put them on a couple months after purchase.

I like the look of them, personally. To me it helps to keep the OB from looking too tall for it's footprint, whatever that means.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,523 Posts
It's good to have them if you live in/near the city, where you have to park in confined parkings stalls. Otherwise, they are more of a cosmetics than form and function (in my opinion). My car (13 Limited) came with those.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i Limited Leather
16 Posts
I know that this is an old thread that I am bringing back to life but I bought a '12 Limited in October and the body was PERFECT! Now, I have a ding in the passenger front door and the passenger rear bumper. My heart weeps. I am thinking that BSM and bumper corner mouldings would cover up these two blemishes and protect from more. Thoughts?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hard to say. It seems that the dings I get in my doors are so high up that they may not have been prevented by the side moldings.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i Limited Leather
16 Posts
Anyone have success with those "ding remover" tools that you can buy on Amazon?

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Limited, SAP, White
92 Posts
It is worth the money to have a paint less dent repair professional do the repair. An experienced guy can work wonders. Just my opinion, based on experience.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts