Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious - When I had the minor accident which I mentioned in my earlier post, the front grill bottom
and the front driver side fender body section had to be replaced. I didn't like the result because the latter part didn't look right because it 'stuck out'.
I made them redo the job, and it was some better, but not perfect. I have been living with that, but then - wouldn't you know, I had a second small calamity.
I accidentally hit the passenger-side door-mirror on my garage door frame, when backing up. Said mirror is quite rigid, not breakaway, and it 'exploded' into 4 pieces (one of which I had to hunt for because it flew some 50 feet!). Well I had a Hellofajob putting the mirror back together because it turned out to be 'snapped' together - no screws or anything. I had to match up the pieces 'just right'. I worried so much that it might not hold, that I taped the mirror together just in case. But now I have removed the tape and so far the mirrror looks okay. But you know, I wonder now if the fender fit problem I mentioned just might be because fenders snap together too which make it hard to make a perfect fit? In fact I am wondering if all the damned body sections are snapped together! Wouldn't that be something? Imagine having a crash, and the entire body explodes as did my mirror. Sounds funny, but it isn't.

Okay - I got it off my chest, Anyone have a comment? Be nice to this old man.
Joe

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I am curious - When I had the minor accident which I mentioned in my earlier post, the front grill bottom
and the front driver side fender body section had to be replaced. I didn't like the result because the latter part didn't look right because it 'stuck out'.
I made them redo the job, and it was some better, but not perfect. I have been living with that, but then - wouldn't you know, I had a second small calamity.
I accidentally hit the passenger-side door-mirror on my garage door frame, when backing up. Said mirror is quite rigid, not breakaway, and it 'exploded' into 4 pieces (one of which I had to hunt for because it flew some 50 feet!). Well I had a Hellofajob putting the mirror back together because it turned out to be 'snapped' together - no screws or anything. I had to match up the pieces 'just right'. I worried so much that it might not hold, that I taped the mirror together just in case. But now I have removed the tape and so far the mirrror looks okay. But you know, I wonder now if the fender fit problem I mentioned just might be because fenders snap together too which make it hard to make a perfect fit? In fact I am wondering if all the damned body sections are snapped together! Wouldn't that be something? Imagine having a crash, and the entire body explodes as did my mirror. Sounds funny, but it isn't.

Okay - I got it off my chest, Anyone have a comment? Be nice to this old man.
Joe
Got any pics of the part that sticks out?

The front bumper with the grille is held in by some plastic snap pins and a few plastic hooks... and if some of that isn’t right you’ll notice it on the front.

On the left side mine doesn’t snap in all the way near the headlight, I just need to order a new plastic piece to get it to stay flush. Nobody but me notices it, so it’s not a priority quite yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got any pics of the part that sticks out?

The front bumper with the grille is held in by some plastic snap pins and a few plastic hooks... and if some of that isn’t right you’ll notice it on the front.

On the left side mine doesn’t snap in all the way near the headlight, I just need to order a new plastic piece to get it to stay flush. Nobody but me notices it, so it’s not a priority quite yet.
Here are pics of the front of my Subaru as good as I can create them with my cheap camera.
Frst three are of the damaged side. Second three are of the good side.
DAMAGED SIDE PIC 1.jpg
DAMAGED SIDE PIC 2.jpg
DAMAGED SIDE PIC 3.jpg
UNDAMAGED SIDE PIC 1.jpg
UNDAMAGED SIDE PIC 2.jpg
UNDAMAGED SIDE PIC 3.jpg

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Mine does that a little up near the corner. The lower panel snaps in place, you can see one of the clips there in the pic. There is a plastic piece bolted to the metal fender that those loops on the lower bumper cover snap in to.

Could be the plastic piece isn’t aligned, or has a few of its teeth not catching the snap there... or the snap loop is cracked.

You can try smacking the part sticking out with the heel of your hand... it may just snap into place. Mine keeps popping back out a slight bit and won’t stay put. I pulled the lower bumper away from the fender there, and I think I just need a new little plastic retainer (whatever it’s called). Doesn’t cost much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine does that a little up near the corner. The lower panel snaps in place, you can see one of the clips there in the pic. There is a plastic piece bolted to the metal fender that those loops on the lower bumper cover snap in to.

Could be the plastic piece isn’t aligned, or has a few of its teeth not catching the snap there... or the snap loop is cracked.

You can try smacking the part sticking out with the heel of your hand... it may just snap into place. Mine keeps popping back out a slight bit and won’t stay put. I pulled the lower bumper away from the fender there, and I think I just need a new little plastic retainer (whatever it’s called). Doesn’t cost much.
Okay - I will try that. Not sure this shaky 90 year-old can deal with this tho. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
God bless you and no offense, but why is a self admitted, shaky 90 year old still behind the wheel?

Once my mom reached an age where she started having accidents on a regular basis, it was time to take away her keys.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,304 Posts
Really? Is that documented anywhere? So then - the body is blow-apart? Wow.
If for example, there is a low-speed hit of the car in front of you, I believe the energy is dissipated in such a way as the damage to the fender (the metal part that goes from the front bumper to the door, and goes around the wheel) is not damaged, or damaged much. There are other things the designers do to dissipate energy rather than transferring it to the cabin structure.

Some crash tests can be viewed on YouTube. Very interesting in slow motion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
God bless you and no offense, but why is a self admitted, shaky 90 year old still behind the wheel?

Once my mom reached an age where she started having accidents on a regular basis, it was time to take away her keys.
Thanks - I only had the one accident, and a minor, stupid one at that. Besides who else will chauffer wifey?
You're right tho. Notice I cannot even spell Joseph right?

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,829 Posts
I had this same issue with my 2008 after a body shop had to replace a torn front bumper cover (Hyundai decided to test the front end strength of both of our cars by running a stop sign; it lost badly). After replacement, it initially was flush, but it kept on working back out when I would try to push it in - it had a "set" in one direction, like the OP's images. The replacement part was genuine Subaru, and the clips were all good, being new parts (all according to the insurance invoice).

I called the body shop that did the work, they had me bring it back in, and the fit and finish guy did a procedure right in front of my eyes in their parking lot that resolved the issue for good. It took all of about five minutes. And what was this procedure? He pulled on the opposite side of the bumper cover almost to the point of over-stressing it the opposite way, alternating with pushing in the cover in the problem area. At the end of several iterations of this, any small tweak on either side to displace the panels out of position resulted in the plastic cover naturally working its way back into proper alignment, the way they were intended to fit.

Sounds simple, but I'm sure this guy's hands were very well-trained to do this adjustment just the right amount - and you can't over-do it, of course. He was a real artist. It's one of those things you can't learn out of a book, you just have to learn to go by feel, and by doing it many times. And he confessed that even with genuine parts, this issue was pretty common, and they don't always know that this will be a problem until the customer notes it, brings it in, and he can see which way things want to settle out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had this same issue with my 2008 after a body shop had to replace a torn front bumper cover (Hyundai decided to test the front end strength of both of our cars by running a stop sign; it lost badly). After replacement, it initially was flush, but it kept on working back out when I would try to push it in - it had a "set" in one direction, like the OP's images. The replacement part was genuine Subaru, and the clips were all good, being new parts (all according to the insurance invoice).

I called the body shop that did the work, they had me bring it back in, and the fit and finish guy did a procedure right in front of my eyes in their parking lot that resolved the issue for good. It took all of about five minutes. And what was this procedure? He pulled on the opposite side of the bumper cover almost to the point of over-stressing it the opposite way, alternating with pushing in the cover in the problem area. At the end of several iterations of this, any small tweak on either side to displace the panels out of position resulted in the plastic cover naturally working its way back into proper alignment, the way they were intended to fit.

Sounds simple, but I'm sure this guy's hands were very well-trained to do this adjustment just the right amount - and you can't over-do it, of course. He was a real artist. It's one of those things you can't learn out of a book, you just have to learn to go by feel, and by doing it many times. And he confessed that even with genuine parts, this issue was pretty common, and they don't always know that this will be a problem until the customer notes it, brings it in, and he can see which way things want to settle out.
This 90 year-old has had a lot of cars in his lifetime - never had this problem - never heard of it, Love the way they makr cars now. Progress? I wish I had never discovered this is the way cars are made these days. No wonder they made so fast. Thank God for my 2001 S10. I use it more anyway.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
376 Posts
I think it’s great to see someone still driving at 90. I just turned 60 and God willing, I can still drive in another 30 years. My Grandfather drove well into his 90’s so with any luck, I will too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,667 Posts

I did one similar adjustment, but haven’t unbolted the top and made the adjustment yet. Something to try before ordering a $7 part that may not have much of an effect.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
I think it’s great to see someone still driving at 90. I just turned 60 and God willing, I can still drive in another 30 years.
You won't have to - by then, self-driving cars will be much more refined, and the only qualification needed to operate a vehicle will be to clearly specify the destination. Until that point is reached, though, the sharing economy (Uber or its successors) will fill in.

Baby boomers always had it all, and we'll continue to do so to the very end. ;)

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,169 Posts
You won't have to...
Self-driving cars will be here sooner rather than later. I just hope it stays that we won't "have to" drive on our own but we will still be allowed to. At some point the control nutters will try to take that freedom away in the name of safety and will probably succeed at some point.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
I just hope it stays that we won't "have to" drive on our own but we will still be allowed to.
Self-driving cars will continue to evolve to the point where the accident rate will be significantly less than a human driver. It won't matter that the accidents they do have will occasionally be stupid, or that a human could have easily avoided the situation. All that matters is that the overall insurance payout will be less, and the cost to society will be less. Reach that point, and the pressure will be immense.

The changeover will happen through economic coercion, not lawmaking - whether it be through initial purchase incentives / disincentives, insurance, registration, or whatever. But it will happen.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The issue with the front bumper is common- the black plastic piece that bumper pops into- large piece with multiple holes that the plastic clips pop into can get damage- also bumper tabs get bent, or usually putting them in and taking them out can cause them to be off. You can take over and try to put back on to see if they helps- if you do this an option a friend showed me is drill a small hole through tab that doesn’t hold and pull a zip tie one back side- does a good job of pull that piece in tight. Alternative is take off bumper, loosen fender and replace the above black plastic piece that bolts onto subframe. See picture below- it’s the piece where these wire tabs go- this bumper has holes in tabs already, previous Imprezas and WRXs I’ve worked on do not- put again you can drill them.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
197 Posts
My 2 cents on the body strength topic - the thinness of the roof is pitiful. Thinner than paper probably. It can't withstand a buckeye falling out of a tree without leaving a depression. I got two dents in my roof, not real noticeable but I can see them. Did you ever notice when waxing your roof that it flexes all over the place? On my wifes Hyundai Sante Fe suv it feels much heaver gauge, barely any flex.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts