Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 OBW (Black) 2.5 N/A, Borla Header, Apexi Noir Exhaust, HID in head lights & Fogs.
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I'm looking for some advice on the install of a new header I ordered in at my local speed shop.

I have a (new to me) 2000 OBW 2.5 Ltd. I am going to be doing a few upgrades before the snow starts to fly.

Header, Muffler, Hella's, HID kit and K&N drop in filter.

So I placed all of these parts on order with my shop, and they came in yesterday.

All of the install times seemed to be normal except for the header install. They told me that they would need my car there for 8 hours alone just to install the header!!

From what I can see/read, I understand that it would take the average handy man about two hours to install.

Please chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for looking.

David

·
Registered
'99 Outback/ '99 GSX 600f
103 Posts
8 hours seems way to long, espically if your being charged the entire time.
i hope they are just buzzy and not bending you over backwards...
sound like fun necessary winter mods, except for the k&n... one of my first mods was a k&n air filter. i dident notice any power gain, nor fuel economy increase. (maybe a minute unnoticeable difference) i did notice my MAF fouled up within the next six months because of oil buildup in the intake coming from the k&n... anywho im not the only one...

heres a quote that always sticks with me and i love to share about k&n's

First some history;
In the 60's Baja racers and others who raced vehicles in the desert were having filter clogging problems with paper filters. Enter K&N whose filters took far longer to clog. Now back then , racers expected to do full engine rebuilds after a race. Nowadays, Oiled foam has replaced K&N in most all powersports applications.
Personally, from experience I have lost a street engine at least partially because of a K&N. It began to smoke after about 40k and when I tore it down I found dirt throughout the intake and scored cylinders. The only mods were a Weber carb, header and K&N. I rebuilt the engine and replaced the filter with a oiled foam filter. It ran perfectly for another 200k until I sold it.
You are far better off using a stock filter or if you want something you do not have to replace as often, use an Amsoil Cellulose filter. They are rated to 100k and can be cleaned. I will never use a K&N product again. BTW if they are so good, then why do they say they filter better when dirty? That's because the dirt helps keep other dirt out. Crap.

heres the thread the quote came from:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/46985-whats-issue-k-n-filters-2.html

·
Premium Member
2000 OBW (Black) 2.5 N/A, Borla Header, Apexi Noir Exhaust, HID in head lights & Fogs.
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too long is exactly what I am thinking as well.

I called back this afternoon to confirm that he was sure he was correct (he is in sales, not the tech in the back to whom I am used to speaking with).

Anyhow, the salesmen told me that after looking at things, he believes that they could do it in under 3.5 hours.

I will be talking to my tech/owner when I arrive the morning of the installs.

Thanks for the message.

Regards,

David.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts