Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post here! We just got a '15 outback premium and I cant wait to get cracking on customizing a few things the way I want them! I had a coworker with a late 90's outback 2.5 with a Borla muffler and it sounded great! Nice rumble when you step on it but generally a quiet car when cruising. I am hoping someone has done just a muffler swap and could share a video or sound clip (yes, I have googled and youtubed all over for this!) If so, which muffler part number did you get? Its not legal to modify exhaust for sound in my locality so I am really hoping to get something incognito. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Probably a reason (or two) you can't find a video or sound clip of someone wasting time and money to stick a Borla muffler on a 2.5 '15 OB.

There certainly will not be any "nice" rumble when you step on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply dug, I found it very enlightening. I found another one of your comments about an exhaust system while searching for more helpful replies, did your mom ever mention to you something about having nothing nice to say?

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Thank you for your reply dug, I found it very enlightening. I found another one of your comments about an exhaust system while searching for more helpful replies, did your mom ever mention to you something about having nothing nice to say?
I did say something nice and was speaking the truth. I don't care what muffler you stick on the back of a 2.5, you might get it to sound like a weed whacker but you are not going to get a "nice" rumble.

If you want a "nice" rumble save your pennies and buy a car with a nice American V8.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Honestly the only exhaust that I've heard that makes the 2.5i sound decent is the Nameless 5" axelback.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6
68 Posts
Do you really want traffic enforcement to take notice when you are flooring it to get that nice sound? After awhile it get's old, and expensive. I'd rather be quiet and not noticed at all. Like a ghost. But depending on your age, it may be worth the risk. It won't make it faster for sure (unless you want to believe manufacture stats). I'm sure you got a K&N already if that is the case. To each their own though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@WhatTheZo the nameless sounds nice for sure, but its a bit loud for what I'm wanting from watching some videos. LP adventure kind of the same thing.

@Johnny Rotten As I said to boomer man up there, I'm looking for just a muffler, its not going to shake the very earth as I drive by with a swapped muffler in a 4cyclinder. Just looking for a bit more sound under heavy throttle, I had a coworker with an older outback and it sounded great but wouldnt ever be loud enough to get noticed unless the cop was after a reason to pull you over anyways.

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
350 Posts
I have Magnaflows on my 3.6, sounds great under load but drones pretty bad. I did the exhaust for performance with my tube. If would stick with the stock mufflers if I were you.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,305 Posts
If you're after that signature "boxer rumble", your exhaust from the heads back is fighting you. Just a muffler swap will not get you the results you're after. You'd need a custom, unequal-length header.

If you're just after a non-stock sound and higher dBs level, the Borla would get you there. But at that point, I'd have a local exhaust shop weld-in a stainless performance muffler. It'll be cheaper and net you the same results.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts