Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looking to get a header for my outback anyone try Borla ss headers? I hear you gain better mileage/nice sound/7-10hp increase/better torque in midrange hi rpm.;)

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
What a great question, and a great mod. I have the header. I like the header. The header does not freeup more than 3-5 HP, but you cannot, cannot repeat that sound with any other header. It is of unequal length, so the exhaust pulses can be heard distinctively. It can be had for less than $300. It is somewhat of an easy job. It takes about ten lbs. off the front of the car. It helps in MPG. The girlies like it. I am rambling. I must go.

Brian

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,122 Posts
I can (from experience) concur with everything Brian has just said, actually I had seen this thread earlier and was just waiting for him to respond :p

Anyway, it is totally worth getting IMHO. After having driven Brian's OBS myself if found it to have far more balls than the standard OBS or even Impreza RS. Yea he has his a little decked out but I've put headers on a few of my former cars and I can certainly tell the difference in performance and sound regardless. I am very partial to Borla and would probably be one of their biggest cheerleaders, that being said they ARE worth every friggin' penny you pay for them. Especially in the long run ;)

·
Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BORLA

So I guess you've got a dyno at your disposal? How do figure 3-5hp gain? The seat of your pants doesn't mean much.
;)

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Scooby, you got that one right...It's the 'butt dyno' But the header does improve exhaust flow, and you do gain some, just not as much as an equal length setup. Brian

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
misadventures of the eternal adolescent

i think i found 3-5hp at lunch today when the vise grips i was using to temporarily hold WRX rear section to OBS center fell off and my spacers fell out so i had essentially an open pipe aft of center section....:D :22:

surprising how relatively quiet it was. if you were willing to live with the drone, you could just run straight pipe from there to the bumper without attracting attention of the gendarmerie.

when i had rear section in place, even before the additional mod, i noticed a definite stronger pull with the reduced backpressure. very noticeable just off idle and at light throttle.

bw

1 - 6 of 6 Posts