Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 (my04) outback. R 3.0
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
well i finally purchased a subaru outback R 3.0 after months and months of searching. It seems like every car i look at had some sort of problem with it. (incomplete service history, lack of Tyre tread, wheel bearings, dings and scratches)

Anyway, there are thumping sounds every-time i go over rough road, speed hump, or bumps on the road. I don't know how to really explain the sound, but its coming from the front wheels area and its very distinctive and you can really feel it when going over bumps. The cars suspension feels solid (no bouncing up and down) I knew about the noise before i purchased, and decided i will risk it and fix it soon.

So would anyone know what it could be? I sort of know that its something connected to the suspension/shocks. (maybe)

Thanks

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
SOunds like a ball joint...............This happened to my car....not too expensive to repair

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in australia everything is atleast 2-3times the cost, :mad: lets see what turns out to be the culprit.

thanks

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,621 Posts
could easily be worn-out struts, or the lower control arm's bushings/transverse link.

just needs close examination of the suspension and steering gear.

a 10 year old car could have multiple worn parts in that system.

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,113 Posts
Is the "R" designation a non US thing? I've never seen it anywhere on this site.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the "R" designation a non US thing? I've never seen it anywhere on this site.
The outback "R" in Australia is what they call the 2003+ models of the 3.0 6cyl version. I am not sure if their are any differences. They called the previous ones "H6"

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
In the U.S., 2005+ H6 Outbacks are referred to as 3.0R or 3.6R. Not sure what the R means.

This '04 is an R because the new generation came to other countries earlier.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found out what the issue was, it was the "front sway-bar links" and "front sway-bar d bushes" which are relatively cheap parts even from subaru, but i'm going to go for good quality after market adjustable sway bar links, which should hold for longer. I hope replacing these parts will solve the problem.

thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
turns out sway bar links and bushes didn't fix the problem, we are certain it is the top rear engine mount, because when we physically shook the engine we heard the knocking sound.

Will see if it fixes the problem tomorrow.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
does anyone know what the rear mount thing is called, it looks like a dog bone, with 2 circles at the end? Do i just need to change that part or is there another part to order with it?

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts