Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traded the 2012 OB for the 2013 OB with same options last week. Wow what a difference.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Traded the 2012 OB for the 2013 OB with same options last week. Wow what a difference.
Congratulations. Did you decide to go with the '13 because of the upgrades?

We test drove both 2.5i and 3.6 2012 limited models. We walked away satisfied that the 2.5i was perfect for us. I began reading about the 2013 updates on this forum then saw the SAP package in person. We ordered a 2013. Our salesman was aware of the updates, but down played any advantages.

It wasn't until our car arrived 1 month later that we actually drove a 2013. I could feel the difference in handling and responsiveness.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Interesting observation. I too noticed a difference in handling but my wife and did think it was that different. A little sharper with less body roll. Perhaps I need another drive. This was back to back with my 10

·
Registered
351 Posts
I posted elsewhere, will repeat. I have a 2013 Limited, mother in law's is exactly a year older with about 3500 more miles. I drove them both back to back on same streets and roads.

My impression was not night and day, not where I'd take the hit to value trading a year old car, but I would consider the 2013 if the choice were both.

Mother in law's has better looking grille and wheels but mine is better in cross winds and feels more sporty on a narrow uneven road. Another might like the softer feeling hers has.

No scientific evidence here but for me my CVT or differences in engine seem like my 2013 is programmed to get up to city speeds faster and less prone to racing the engine if you're on the freeway.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I posted elsewhere, will repeat. I have a 2013 Limited, mother in law's is exactly a year older with about 3500 more miles. I drove them both back to back on same streets and roads.

I didn't trade for esthetics's and conveniences, but for handling.
My impression was not night and day, not where I'd take the hit to value trading a year old car, but I would consider the 2013 if the choice were both.

Mother in law's has better looking grille and wheels but mine is better in cross winds and feels more sporty on a narrow uneven road. Another might like the softer feeling hers has.

No scientific evidence here but for me my CVT or differences in engine seem like my 2013 is programmed to get up to city speeds faster and less prone to racing the engine if you're on the freeway.
After watching videos on TV and online stating 40% less body roll I had to see for myself. I went to a dealer and I drove a 2012 exactly like my 2012 and a 2013 all with the same Conit's on them and exactly the same options. The 2012 handled exactly like my 2012 and the 2013 was about 50% better in both handling and body roll. I took each on a 8 mile drive and did my own road test with evasive maneuvers and it was a must trade situation.

The 74 mile ride home on the interstate was less exhausting with the better handling. I won't say the 2013 is handling like a BMW or a Benz but more like a $32,000 car and a Subaru should.

The car has more power as minuscule as it is. You can feel it on take off. The CVT is more quiet also. I did lose some more cash when broken down to a monthly basis than I lost over 66 months of my 2006 Forester ownership. But the monthly loss was no worse than a 0% Down $320 per month lease for the time I owned it. Going from a 2.9% to a 1.9% will also offset the loss at the end of the 63 months I had left anyway. At 1.9% it don't even pay to tie-up your own money.

NOW all we need is a Diesel option to compete with the VW Alltrack that is coming soon.:29:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
JOEM
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing