Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!

I would really appreciate your help on this question. I searched for a prior post, but did not see one like this.

I just purchased a 2017 3.6R limited, and I’m loving it so far. I’ve been driving my truck for 20 years, so it’s especially awesome! Anyhow, the listing for the vehicle said that it had remote start, and I saw in the records where remote start was apparently installed by the dealer shortly after it was first leased.

The car did not come with any remote start fobs. Do you have any ideas how I can tell if remote start is actually installed? If it is installed, could I get new fobs? Or, is remote start something that is done the Subaru star link app via subscription?

Thank you very much!!

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
By the 2017 model, the long range remote was available... you should have a small antenna in the top left corner of the front windshield if it has that.... then you’d need the remotes.

If it has the previous version, the remote start just used the regular fob (this was only for the push start keyless cars).

try the procedure in the owners manual. See if it works.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,751 Posts
Looks like @walker covered it pretty thoroughly. If the records show remote actually being installed by the dealer it should have the antenna on the windshield which looks something like this picture I randomly pulled from the interwebs:

That one would need the separate remotes and I have no idea what would be needed to make it work as far as programming new ones. If the antenna isn't there it may have been removed before it was turned back in at the end of the lease since it sounds like it may have been installed after the initial lease deal.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I haven't tried it with a keyless version, but the systems with the separate fob (the prior one that didn't have the long range antenna)... if you had a keyed ignition you could add more remote start fobs yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the 2017 model, the long range remote was available... you should have a small antenna in the top left corner of the front windshield if it has that.... then you’d need the remotes.

If it has the previous version, the remote start just used the regular fob (this was only for the push start keyless cars).

try the procedure in the owners manual. See if it works.

View attachment 486052
Walker the Winner! Thank you. It does indeed have remote start, which is awesome. I didn’t realize an accessory would be in the manual too. Thanks again!

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Walker the Winner! Thank you. It does indeed have remote start, which is awesome. I didn’t realize an accessory would be in the manual too. Thanks again!
I only knew because I had a 2015 with one style and the 2017 with the other. Surprise it doesn’t have a long range remote, that system was available in June 2016. Could be it was added later and they use the remote start system without the long range remote. Glad you got it sorted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you know about how long the range is in real world conditions? Of course, I can go out and test myself haha. It’s the regular remote, and I see no antenna. I suppose it’s the same distance as lock and unlock doors?

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Do you know about how long the range is in real world conditions? Of course, I can go out and test myself haha. It’s the regular remote, and I see no antenna. I suppose it’s the same distance as lock and unlock doors?
Sounds about right - distance you could lock the doors with the fob.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, another question. The car comes on fine, but when I unlock the door or try to open it the engine turns off... any idea on this? Is there a special way to enter the car without it turning off?

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
no way to get into it by design - it will shut off. Some people have taped down the switch for a rear door, and can open/close that door with the remote start running (to fetch gear, whatever)... but as soon as you open another door it will shut off.

Here is the remote start manual... there are some other limitations (like you can run it for 15 minutes, and it will shut off... you can start it up a second time, but it will only run until the total run time is 20 minutes, then you must start the car with the ignition button inside the car to reset).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Pearl White 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight
4 Posts
I had the Remote Start installed on my 2017. The little antenna is similar to the image Danver posted earlier. I was surprised that the key fob had ANOTHER key fob with it. (they share a "key ring"). I was expecting the coverage of the remote start to be similar to lock/unlock function on the regular key fob. But, no. The extended range is indeed THAT --- extended ABOUT 400 feet, or more.

I used to work in a place where the parking lot as long as a typical city block. The area where I was permitted to park was at the distant end of that lot. When I came out of the building after work, I would click the fob to start the engine then walk to the car. I might not could hear it start and run. But (especially with a fresh battery), it would start and the air conditioner would have most of the "summertime sting" of the heat gone by the time I got there. I think their estimate of 400 feet is fair. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for that Walker.
Just got my 2015 yesterday and the dealer never mentioned it had remote start.

Have to wonder if the salesman even knew?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts