Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca 3.6L Red, 1992 F 150, 1973 Super Beetle 1600 cc, 1971 Beetle, 1967 Beetle.
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking at two vehicles. One is the 06 Outback XT LTD and the other is the 06 Outback 3.0R VDC LTD . The only Subaru I've ever owned was the turbo GL-10 way back when. Terrific car, never had any problems with it and it was fun to drive. Now I'm torn between the V6 and the 4 cylinder XT. I've talked to mechanics and they all have opinions, some love the turbo and others the V6.

I'm sending the V6 for a pre purchase exam tomorrow. I guess I'm leaning toward the V6 but just when I think I've made up my mind I think back to my turbo charged wagon and remember how much I loved it.

Both cars have pretty much the same mileage, between 145,000 and 150,000. The V6 has a timing chain instead of a belt.

Help! :smile2:

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,301 Posts
Please stop calling it a V6. It's a H6 :)

People have many opinions on the two. Both need premium fuel and synthetic oil, both have similar power outputs but rather different power bands. The XT needs a lot more maintenance and servicing, and typically breaks in a more expensive fashion. It also has more options to modify and personalize if that's your thing.

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca 3.6L Red, 1992 F 150, 1973 Super Beetle 1600 cc, 1971 Beetle, 1967 Beetle.
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha ha. Ooops. Where in the heck did get the V from?.:laugh: I know, V for victory.

I actually did check out those two huge threads but I'm still not sure. A friend's Forester just had his timing belt break. The H6 has a timing chain which is a plus in it's column.

My heart is in Turbo but my head is in 6.

What do you prefer?

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,301 Posts
My personal opinion?

The Gen 3 H6/5EAT combo is the best Outback wagon Subaru has ever made. Looks good, drives good, the 5EAT is a low issue transmission as long as you remember to change the ATF-HP every once in a while. The H6 has few common issues and none are commonly vehicle crippling...while the turbo can go from "Hey, what's up?" to "Well, time to sell a kidney to replace that turbo/engine that blew up when I tried to limp it home." in a disturbingly short time.

All that said, I currently drive a Gen 2 H6. Older/lower power version of the same engine with the old 4 speed auto. Not a bad vehicle at all. I'd be looking for a H6 Gen 3 if I wasn't getting sold a XT from a family member soon.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,187 Posts
Personally having owned a 2.5 Turbo (currently own but daughter drives), and a 3.6 H6 (current daily drive) and several 2.5 non-Turbo’s, I prefer the 2.5 non Turbo (this is probably going to cause a lot of comment)

The 2.5 non Turbo has ample power for normal driving, can be extremely economical with fuel if driven properly and is very simple to work on and get parts for in the event of a problem.

Between the 2.5 Turbo and H6, the H6 would probably be my choice by just a whisker but the 2.5 Turbo sure is fun to drive.

Seagrass

·
Premium Member
Outback Executive 3.0 MY08 (VTD/VDC/LSD)
915 Posts
Ha ha. Ooops. Where in the heck did get the V from?.:laugh: I know, V for victory.

I actually did check out those two huge threads but I'm still not sure. A friend's Forester just had his timing belt break. The H6 has a timing chain which is a plus in it's column.

My heart is in Turbo but my head is in 6.

What do you prefer?
I only know the H4 turbo engine from the succeding generation as I had planned to replace my MY05 Outback 3.0 with a MY2010 Legacy GT.

The H4 turbo has more torque and the car is faster than the 3.0, but the smoothness and suppleness of the 3.0 are in my opinion a whole different league. For me the turbo engine was no viable successor for the 3.0 so I decieded to skip it. I instead bought another 3.0 instead.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,203 Posts

People have many opinions on the two. Both need premium fuel and synthetic oil, both have similar power outputs but rather different power bands. The XT needs a lot more maintenance and servicing, and typically breaks in a more expensive fashion. It also has more options to modify and personalize if that's your thing.
Last I knew Subaru never called for synthetic oil for the H6. Even in the newest 3.6's, Subaru is still specing out a conventional motor oil.

On to OP's question, it's a matter of what you want. Want to make big power some day? The answer is obvious.. choose the turbo car. Want all the power and torque of a stock turbo car without many of the drawbacks associated with the maintenance monster that is the turbo 2.5? The H6 car is for you.

I currently own both and while I love my turbo car, if I had to drive something daily, I would choose the H6 hands down.

Besides, there's a certain je ne sais quoi to the EZ30 cars. The sound, the performance, they're kinda rare. Other scoob drivers will see yours in a parking lot and be envious, etc. :laugh:

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,383 Posts
what have you been driving?

what is the history on the 2 cars? how many prior owners? maintenance records? what part of the country have they been kept in?

13 year-old cars are better judged by their prior level of care and their present condition (kudos for getting a pre-purchase inspection) than by brand or model.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,384 Posts
There are two kinds of people who should not get the 2.5 Turbo:

- Those who cannot afford to deal with a sudden and very expensive breakdown
- And those who can

H6 all the way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IMHO hands down go with the 6!
Sadly just got the pre-purchase report on the H6 I was interested in buying and the head gaskets are leaking just for starters. So now I have the 07 XT LTD to consider.

Thanks everyone for your great advice. I'll keep looking but very disappointed. It seems there's lots of shadiness out there in the used car world. I've been looking for 6 mos. and this is the second bad pre purchase I've gotten back. :frown2:

·
Registered
2008 OB 2.5XT
14 Posts
Sadly just got the pre-purchase report on the H6 I was interested in buying and the head gaskets are leaking just for starters. So now I have the 07 XT LTD to consider.

Thanks everyone for your great advice. I'll keep looking but very disappointed. It seems there's lots of shadiness out there in the used car world. I've been looking for 6 mos. and this is the second bad pre purchase I've gotten back. :frown2:

Best of luck in your endeavors. I’ve owned an 08 XT with 125K for the past year. I am a little paranoid about when the turbo might go. However I’m told that keeping up with oil changes can significantly extend the inevitable. Not sure if anyone else has any sage advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Best of luck in your endeavors. I’ve owned an 08 XT with 125K for the past year. I am a little paranoid about when the turbo might go. However I’m told that keeping up with oil changes can significantly extend the inevitable. Not sure if anyone else has any sage advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Part of the problem is there isn't a lot of Subaru inventory where I live so I have to cast my net out further. Then you get into having to drive long distances just to look at a car. It's almost mandatory that a used car buyer gets a pre purchase check up, it saves us from spending thousands on a lemon.

Your XT sounds nice, low miles for an 08. I hope it runs for a long time before you have to worry about the turbo but I understand your concern. Any car can do anything at anytime, lol.

Will keep everyone posted on my search. I'll be checking out the 07 XT next.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,203 Posts

External oil weep I presume?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
External oil weep I presume?
Here's their diagnosis: Engine has oil leaks. Head gskts. Front cover leaking, valve cover gasket. Probably $3000 dollars worth of work?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,963 Posts
Here's their diagnosis: Engine has oil leaks. Head gskts. Front cover leaking, valve cover gasket. Probably $3000 dollars worth of work?
you could buy the 2006 3.0, cheap with the diagnosis.

confirm the head gaskets are terminal, (these typically have a valve cover leak, not a head gasket leak)

and replace the engine with a JDM 250hp 3.0, (bought for $1500, installed for $800 or less),....

________

or you could buy a turbo subaru. with a EJ255 engine,....and wait for that to crap out on the side of the road to the tune of $3000-5000 .
(even under the best of circumstances, with mechanic owners that babysit these cars, $$$$ bad things happen.....so they are not to be bought by the faint of wallet, or anyone paying for mechanic work)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you could buy the 2006 3.0, cheap with the diagnosis.

confirm the head gaskets are terminal, (these typically have a valve cover leak, not a head gasket leak)

and replace the engine with a JDM 250hp 3.0, (bought for $1500, installed for $800 or less),....

________

or you could buy a turbo subaru. with a EJ255 engine,....and wait for that to crap out on the side of the road to the tune of $3000-5000 .
(even under the best of circumstances, with mechanic owners that babysit these cars, $$$$ bad things happen.....so they are not to be bought by the faint of wallet, or anyone paying for mechanic work)
Thanks for all the good advice but unfortunately it has undercarriage rust problems as well. It was raised back east with salt and mag on the roads. So I'm going to pass on it and move on to the 06 XT LTD.

It's hard to find a good Subaru if you're not buying from a family member or someone you trust.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,963 Posts
Thanks for all the good advice but unfortunately it has undercarriage rust problems as well. It was raised back east with salt and mag on the roads. So I'm going to pass on it and move on to the 06 XT LTD.

It's hard to find a good Subaru if you're not buying from a family member or someone you trust.
FYI:

2005-06 XTs have no VDC, (just plain old limited slip rear)

2007-2009 XT do have VDC.

I think it is REALLY great on slop in winter, I have used the same set of studded snows on both my cars,:

and the sedan with the LSD rear makes for a whole lot of steering corrections,...which wears you down.

but my VDC wagon, nothing. = actually a pleasure to drive. (surrounded by people without subarus on crap tires,....slipping) it simply corrects for angle,
and this past winter I never got a action light without trying to purposely spin the car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There are two kinds of people who should not get the 2.5 Turbo:

- Those who cannot afford to deal with a sudden and very expensive breakdown
- And those who can

H6 all the way.
Well the 2.5 XT is off the table but I just found a 2009 Tribeca LTD. It's a two owner car with very low miles. It has the H6 3.6L engine and that's all I know about it. Of course it's loaded with all the LTD extras.

Any thoughts on the Tribeca?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,963 Posts
Well the 2.5 XT is off the table but I just found a 2009 Tribeca LTD. It's a two owner car with very low miles. It has the H6 3.6L engine and that's all I know about it. Of course it's loaded with all the LTD extras.

Any thoughts on the Tribeca?
3.6 are better then the 3.0 variety,

but its still a whole lot of pig there that did not get much love from anyone, with expensive weirdo wide job 18" tires, (like for BMW x5, and similar)

I think I would get a Sienna AWD instead,... so as to squeeze in the whole 4x8 sheet of plywood,...sans subaru AWD.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts