Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca 3.6L Red, 1992 F 150, 1973 Super Beetle 1600 cc, 1971 Beetle, 1967 Beetle.
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
This got me curious as I've only seen a couple of Tribeca's on the road and never up close. Is the 3rd row seat easily removable like a Suburban? I've own 4 and the 1st thing I always did when I got home was remove the 3rd row seat and put it into storage until time to sell or trade. The 2nd row seats were rarely not folded down either. I used them in my business. They served me well as I needed a secure enclosed vehicle with pretty much the same cargo space as a van.

My Subaru I have now has only had the back seats up twice in 3 years. I'm thinking if I ever need more space than my outback a Tribeca might be a good choice if I could find a cream puff! Not so sure I would like an ascent....turbo 4 CVT is not my cup o tea!
The third row seat is folded down and covered so I haven't had a chance to closely look at it but with the second row seats folded it will really open up a lot of space back there. The only thing is I don't want the dogs bouncing around on the backs of the second row seats without a rubber mat. I'll have to look for one on ebay.

I think you'd like this car. It's a "cream puff". I feel I deserve it after all the time I've been looking for a decent Subbie. :laugh:

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca 3.6L Red, 1992 F 150, 1973 Super Beetle 1600 cc, 1971 Beetle, 1967 Beetle.
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
when you change the trans fluid make sure it is
"subaru HP ATF",

and there is a subaru OEM spin on ATF filter there. (aftermarkets don't last and flow like the OEM,...and the tribeca 3.6 5EAT was the last subaru with them)
More good info, thanks!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,977 Posts
More good info, thanks!
I added the word, "don't" to my previous posts.

Aftermarket spin on ATF filters just plain suck.

updating thread title, and moving thread

There is a Tribeca forum that might have some good stuff, but it is kind of a ghost town of activity, we have here a Tribeca sub section though, and plenty of 3.6 5EAT people on the board.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/194-tribeca/

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,699 Posts
The Becca gets it's own rear suspension design and a "rear diff temp" warning light.

I know because I just drove one with such a light.

Does anyone know if that light is the diff or the center diff?

I thought they were all VTD?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I added the word, "don't" to my previous posts.

Aftermarket spin on ATF filters just plain suck.

updating thread title, and moving thread

There is a Tribeca forum that might have some good stuff, but it is kind of a ghost town of activity, we have here a Tribeca sub section though, and plenty of 3.6 5EAT people on the board.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/194-tribeca/
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,778 Posts
This got me curious as I've only seen a couple of Tribeca's on the road and never up close. Is the 3rd row seat easily removable like a Suburban?
It is not removable. However, it folds so seamlessly, you would not know it is there. It is not that much of a seat, so that helps with the cargo area having a flat floor.

On a side note, it is better for occasional use than the Ascent setup which is really a minivan setup, optimized for pax, not cargo. I think they went overboard in that direction with the Ascent, actually. I thought it would be a pax OR great cargo area but the cargo area is not at all great with the third row folded. The 4Runner cargo area is same cubic feet as the Ascent but in a whole different league when it comes to cargo functionality.

The Becca gets it's own rear suspension design and a "rear diff temp" warning light.

I know because I just drove one with sick a light.

That's true, the rear suspension design is its own and the front suspension is not interchangeable with OB either but the rest is all pretty much the same.

They are all VTD/VDC, yes.

OP, I think that in terms of expected durability, you made a great choice.

We are at 150,000 and 11 years (second owners). We have had it for 42,000 miles and 5+ years. I have replaced the pax side valve cover gaskets, the front control arms (easier than just the bushings), and the shocks which were factory until 145,000 miles. The rest is basic maintenance.

Just take care of issues as they arise, don't let problems snowball and get to where the TB @Brucey refers to is....

·
Premium Member
Outback Executive 3.0 MY08 (VTD/VDC/LSD)
915 Posts

I know because I just drove one with sick a light.

Tribeaccas were all VTD.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Having a blast with my 09 Tribeca Ltd

Thought I'd post an update since I picked up the Tribeca last week. I can't begin to say what a great car it is. Granted I've only put a few hundred miles on it but it rides so smooth with plenty of power. I finally figured out the difference between Sport drive and Regular drive, granted I had to check the owner's manual. The mileage is what I expected, around 22-25 hwy, 18-20 city.

The sunroof is great, it's been a long time since I've had a sunroof and the weather is just starting to warm up so we can enjoy it. Even so it's been chilly at times, so the heated seats come in handy.

I think I've finally figured out the dog set up for the car. I'm getting the OEM cargo mat for the cargo area and will put up a cargo net to keep the dogs off the back seats. I was going to put the back seats down to give them more room but the seats don't lay flat and then I'd have to find another mat to cover the second row seats. I'll probably change my mind tomorrow, lol.

Just two negatives, the brakes are squeaking intermittently and the keyless entry bob is running out of battery. It wouldn't lock the car a couple of days ago, now it's working again, so I think it needs a new battery. If the car has new brake pads maybe that's why they're squeaking, will have to have it checked out. Good news on the undercarriage. Almost no rust if any at all. So this car was probably garaged most of its life.

The leather is perfect. I'm pretty sure there's never been a dog or child in the car before now.

I'll post pics of the exterior soon.

Tribeca's rule :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,393 Posts
they may have put cheaper pads on the car. Try Centric PosiQuiet Ceramic (might be the same is sold as NAPA Gold - but that may have changed)

or, other name-brand ceramic pad. OEM was probably Akebono ceramic. They are good too but a little pricier.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
they may have put cheaper pads on the car. Try Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic (might be the same is sold as NAPA Gold - but that may have changed)

or, other name-brand ceramic pad. OEM was probably Akebono ceramic. They are good too but a little pricier.
You're probably right.

They squeak intermittently. I'm going to take it in next week and find out if they changed them. It may have been traded in with those pads and the dealership just did a cursory look.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Looks like you picked up a real cream puff! Nice!
Thanks! It really paid off to be patient, I looked at so many Subarus. It was serendipitous really, if I hadn't looked at their inventory on that day, it would have been gone the next day. It was only at the dealership for a matter of hours before I saw it, it came in on a trade.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Yeah, but Subaru didn't think so. The sales numbers killed it.
I'm just glad I found it, it's perfect for our family.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts