Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And was ill informed regarding its condition, since i parked it after driving (3days) it has leaked every last drop of oil. Leaks are Its only on the bottom end and kinda looks like maybe from the pan where should i start first? What are the things i shoukd check?
Thank you

·
Registered
2012 2.5 Outback Manual
64 Posts
Where to start?

Take the car to a coin wash that has an engine/tire degreaser option, and clean the engine top to bottom. Make sure you drive the car for a half hour or so after, so everything dries well. Then give it a week, and check again for oil leaks. You'll have a far better idea of where the leaks are coming from. Right now I bet everything is just covered in oil. I had one small leak coming from the sender unit a few months back, a really small leak. Everything got covered in oil, it looked awful.

AFAIK, there's no systemic issues with the oil pan on the gen 4's, so it may be that a previous owner bumped the pan at some point - so I'd give the pan a good once over for any obvious dents.

(I'd have a gander at lemon laws in your neck of the woods, too...)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
91 Posts
ALL the oil? Or just enough to uncover the dip stick?

And before driving around, fill it back up with oil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All the oil. I guess it might have been driving home, about 70 miles. Then it sat for 3 days. When i started it to move it i noticed the oil light. I imagine I would have noticed it come on while driving...

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
908 Posts
All the oil in 70 miles? I would have filled it back up with oil and brought it back to the seller and demanded my money back

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I knew it had issues but not w oil, paid so little for it im hoping to repair and still come out on top, seller has since ghosted on social media.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
908 Posts
He clearly did a "dump and run" on you. Check the compression on the cylinders and take it to a car parts store and have them run an OBD scan on the car's computer. I'll bet it's been reset just before he sold it to you. You can get a reading of miles or time since last rest.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,897 Posts
Get access to the oil pan and wipe it down with paper towels. I assume it is covered with oil?

I have had 2 oil pans rust through.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,209 Posts
A number of things to note.

1. When the oil light comes on you have only lost around 1 quart of oil (not all 4 quarts) so I doubt "it has leaked every last drop of oil" as you stated in your first post.
2. Maybe the oil was a bit low when you picked up the vehicle (did you actually check the oil level with the vehicle on a flat and level surface before you drove the 70 miles to home?)
3. Sounds like you may have found the problem if the oil filter was loose.

Why don't you top off the oil, clean up all the oil on the engine (as suggested in an earlier post) and then monitor the oil level daily over the coming weeks of driving to see what is really happening.

Don't forget to come back and give us all an update.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
955 Posts
One of the best car purchases I ever made was because of a loose oil filter! Test drove the car and it was so low on oil the lifters were going down. I took a gamble because I had a great engine I could drop in it. Pulled the dipstick and showed the salesman there was oil on the stick( :devilish: ) and said at a minimum it would need an oil pump. Did some hardcore negotiating that probably had to receive owner approval and drove away with it for pennies on the dollar. Got home,found the loose oil filter filled it up with oil and put around 70,000 miles on that car with nothing but normal maintenance. Got nearly what the dealer was asking for it when I traded it in!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok guys still no leaks, but another question, i cant get the rams to compress with c clamps on a front caliper and when the brake is hit it doesnt move, does the calioer need replacing?

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,897 Posts
Ok guys still no leaks, but another question, i cant get the rams to compress with c clamps on a front caliper and when the brake is hit it doesnt move, does the calioer need replacing?
If the piston won't move, yes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts