Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for one for a while and finally got one. I bought an 05 with 214xxx miles from a guy a few miles away. It had a broken timing belt when he got it and had bent a couple valves. He had the heads redone and new head gaskets and timing belt kit. He then decided to strip the interior to clean it. He decided to sell it to me in pieces. I have the front seats in and drove it home. The engine light is on reading bank one o2 sensor. The airbag light is on also so I will check the connections. The drivers seat has an issue, it slides forward and back and the electric motor, even though I see them running, won't move it. The radio is on but wont make any sounds, and it sounds like new rear wheel bearings may be needed. The motor sounds good, new tires all around, and the body is in great shape. It seems like a basket case but I believe when I get these items taken care of I will have a great ride.

Registered
The only thing this post needs is for you to say that it's a Turbo engine. At that point, I'd think you'd win Outback Bingo. 馃槀

But seriously, this certainly sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Wiring on these can be an issue if it's been moved around a lot. Some of the insulation is prone to cracking with lots of movement, as found in the tailgate wiring. Inspect all the connecters to make sure they're seated properly if they were removed.

Get yourself a Subaru Service Manual for the 2005. That will help immensely. Good Luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I got the radio fixed, broken antenna wires at the hatch. Then I got the front seat figured out and fixed. Previous owner had removed the bolts holding the screw mechanism to the bottom rail of the seat slides. Then I got the interior mostly put together. It appears that a lot of plastic trim pieces were broken during the disassembly by the previous owner. I am ordering new rear wheel bearing assembly for both sides tonight. My next issue to figure out is the passenger seat belt alarm. It was going off with no one else in the car. The drivers side rear seat belt latch wont latch and I wonder if that is where the problem is. I am grateful for the information on here to help me through!

Registered
There's a pressure/weight sensor in the passenger seat that controls whether it checks that the passenger seatbelt is fastened, and a connector under the seat for that sensor. I'm betting that's not connected properly, given the other issues you mention.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
There's a pressure/weight sensor in the passenger seat that controls whether it checks that the passenger seatbelt is fastened, and a connector under the seat for that sensor. I'm betting that's not connected properly, given the other issues you mention.
Thank you guys for the help! I have been searching here and just found a service bulletin someone had posted and plan on going through that today. Wheel bearings should be here Friday.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Today I unbolted the passenger seat and found the seat sensor unplugged. One more item off the list. Right now my sweet wife and son are using the upholstery cleaner on the seats. It is looking really nice. Come on wheel bearings! I am ready to go somewhere in it. I dont know where... but somewhere!

Registered
Double check all of the control are rubber bushings - they are prone to failure. Same goes for the swaybar drop links.

Driver window switch has a tendency to fail, as well as the plastic rollers in the sunroof mechanism.

Registered
Congrats on the purchase.

A quick recommendation - You did mention certain plastic pieces broken from disassembly. It might be worth checking craiglist for vehicles like yours that getting "partied out." That way you will get the part at fraction of what otherwise you might end up paying.

Registered
Something else to do while you are into it - remove interior panels and doublecheck for any rust having started in the usual placed, like theback edge of the rear wheel wells. the 'dogleg" at the front of the rear wheel wells, door bottoms, rear hatch bottom ( as well as the handle itself), etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Good advice! I was lucky enough to already have the panels off and it is clean and rust free with the exception of the bottom lip of the drivers door. It is minimal but I have located one at a nearby salvage yard that is the same color. It may be worth it to go ahead and pick it up along with a few of the broken trim pieces. When I went to pick up the car the other day he had it up on a lift so I was able to get a good look underneath. No drips and really clean and rust free. I feel blessed to find this car. It is really coming together nicely. There was no movement in the rear bearings but they are horribly noisy. It could just be one but sounds like both sides. I can tell that I want to add an easier accessible 12 volt outlet. I have a bluetooth adapter that works really well that I want to use. I have an outlet I collected a while back. Now to find the ideal location. After that, window tinting to make it easier on my eyes with that bright interior.

Registered
While you have the panels out, go ahead and seal the seams with something like rustoleum rusty metal primer, and once it is dry, spray coat everything with something like 3M Rubberized undercoating - preventive maintenance is worth its weight in longevity.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the welcome and all the advice.

It looks like my wheel bearings will get here Monday. If I read correctly, the axle is not reusable. I had better locate a couple if that is the case. I have all my other issues resolved except the engine light on for bank one o2 sensor. I need to locate bank one and look into that. I should be on the road early next week.

Registered
Axles should be reusable, as long as they come out cleanly and the CV boots are good. Axle nuts are supposed to be single use, but in practice you can use them a couple of times as long as you can hammer over a bit of the locking ring. Diff seals may need replacing.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Axles should be reusable, as long as they come out cleanly and the CV boots are good. Axle nuts are supposed to be single use, but in practice you can use them a couple of times as long as you can hammer over a bit of the locking ring. Diff seals may need replacing.
Oops, typo. I meant axle nut. That is good to know I might be able to reuse them. I thought I might be able to.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
I have my rear wheel bearings replaced. One made a little chirp when spinning it by hand and the other was BAD rough. It sounds like a front wheel bearing is making noises well. I noticed a leaking rear strut while working in there. Nevertheless I was able to drive it. The AC is intermittently blowing cold but the clutch stays engaged so I need to dig into that. Next issue is a surge or intermittent loss of power happening a lot while at highway speed . CEL is on for the bank one O2 sensor but i don't know the code it threw. I need to look into that as well. And then... I think I am experiencing torque bind. Tight turns caues it to act as a 4x4 truck locked In turning on a hard surface, only less severe. Might this clear up? I know it has been sitting but I dont know how long. I have read a lot of post on my issues and am grateful for all the information to get me started in the right direction.

Registered
You should really get the $15-$20 VagCom cable, a laptop and FreeSSM (and later RomRaider, which is harder to get started with) to check out the CEL errors. With a number of potential latent issues from sitting, it'll quickly be worth being able to diagnose CEL lights easily.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
I will look into that. I have seen discussions about it but otherwise dont know anything about using something like that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
6 Participants
Yukon cornelius
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing