Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost one of my push start FOBs and decided to purchase a used key from ebay. Key was in great condition - I took it to my local dealer but they said if the key has been programmed to another car, it can not be programmed to a new car.

anyone here here have any experience with this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I asked the ebay seller if the keys were programmed to a car before:

The ebay seller's repsone : "

Yes, we specify in the description that the item is used and to find a programmer that can do it before purchasing the key. It requires equipment that most Subaru dealers won't have."

I didn't do my homework on this - I need to find a 3rd party that can program these keys to my car, or just buy new keys for subaru to program.

Has anyone had a 3rd party program push start keys to their car before?

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray Outback 3.6R with EyeSight
176 Posts
First, when you are looking for help, I encourage you to write a description of your vehicle and your location, as this may help provide the most helpful, and possibly location specific answer (i.e., I know a locksmith in Chicago area who should be able to do this).

Fob programming should definitely be doable - the video below is for 2015-2107 Impreza, but my guess is the procedure should be similar for the Outback. I don't believe your dealer's answer because, in my opinion (which very well may be wrong), it is more likely that the car is programmed to recognize a given fob, not the other way around. Call a few reputable locksmiths in your area and see if they can help - some should have this programmer used in the video and may even come over to your preferred location and do programming on the spot. Let us know how this turns out.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,291 Posts
following

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
62 Posts
Of course the dealer won't do it because they want you to buy "New" from their parts department. Just take it to an independent, or mom and pop shop and get it done. More then likely any of them that can cut laser keys can program it. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts