Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had posted comparing the OBS SE and the Saab 9-2X. I'm happy to say I went with the OSB SE. Better price and I think the OBS fits my image better than the Saab. I also don't think service/repairs etc. will be a problem with the Subie. I read posts of Saabaru owners having trouble with repairs at the Saab dealer. I also found the Sub salesman fantastic compared to the Saab guy. Who needs free soda and a fancy waiting room. I can get that with my Infiniti QX4.

I love the ride. It feels very solid and smooth. The outdoor temp. is very useful in Feb. in NE! All around very pleased. I may have seat heaters installed by next winter. There are two holes for them already and I'm wondering if the wires underneath the holes are for seat warmers or something else?

Wish there was more activity on this board. I'd love to see some exterior mods posted.

Does anybody know why there are so few OBS around? Is the price to close to the lower end Legacys? I specifically wanted something small to drive! I would not have bought a Imprezza Wagon--too stripped for me--but love the OBS.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
and here's to ya! i love mine too. it's the spiritual heir to the great bug eyed cars of the past (Bugeye sprite, TRs, etc)....

and tossable.....woo hah. and it's nearly as thrifty as Civicish stuff...i consistently get 28 in city and 28-29 hwy. at 70ish, it gets 33, and even upping cruising speed to 95-100 (not recommended otherwise than on deserted western hwys), it gets 25 or so. my friend's MINI cooper S don't get those #s altho it has abt same hp and a lot less weight. and no AWD.

you may be onto something on the price issue. i see very fewof em too. i think also they look too stealth and like the std TS (and the Rex) for a lot of buyers, whereas the LOB has more of an "in yr face" look compared to strd Leggy. gotta remember, we're dealing with Grt Am Public, where an ad touting how tough the luggage rack looks when you're not moving has been proven through focus groups to sell Nissan XTerras... and sometimes people claim it's not a real OB...guess it don't look butch enuff fer em...

welcome to the asylum. :p

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Welcome Losthat! The Impreza is the only Subaru model still built in Japan and imported to the states, and the OBS is even more rare than that. The OBS is really rare here in the Nebraska area. And as for exterior mods, what did you have in mind? My OBS has mods, but not too many you can see from the outside.

Go into my gallery if interested in seeing my OBS. Brian

·
Registered
289 Posts
Congrats! Great little cars. You'll like the engine much more when it gets broken in a little. I have about 2500 miles on mine now and it's running great. Although I do still get a oil'ish smell when I stop at lights for a while. Others have posted that this is cosmoline burning off and should go away in a few thousand miles. We'll see.

Other than that, it's been great. AWD is excellent, but I really need some snow tires. The stock RE92's just suck in the snow, even new. The lateral grip is the worst. Next year....

On a seperate note, does anyone know if the upgraded stereo(6 CD in dash) in the SE model has an AUX IN, say for satellite radio?

Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seat Heaters?

The upgraded stereo in the OBS SE doesnt haven an Aux IN port. I wish it did. You can, however, replace the CD in line with one for Satellite Radio or an iPod, but you cant use teh CD player then. I just use an FM transmitter, cause there is no tape deck (dammit!)

Hey, what is this about seat heaters? Where can I get them??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seat Heat

Well, you can go to Canada and get an OBS with heated seats....or you can go aftermarket. I'm hoping to do that in fall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow-would love it if you would post pictures.
How does the XM radio look and how do you like it?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Ouch! Are you ok? When did this happen?
If that we me I'd me so :cursin: I couldn't see straight!
I hope the insurance isn't a hassle and your back in a Scoob soon! Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Woodstock20723 said:
Ouch! Are you ok? When did this happen?
If that we me I'd me so :cursin: I couldn't see straight!
I hope the insurance isn't a hassle and your back in a Scoob soon! Good luck.
Thankfully nobody was hurt. My son was driving when a car shot out of the parking lot (in the background) in front of him. The Impreza's front end absorbed the impact so well that the airbags didn't even go off! Anyway, the repair estimate was over $12,000.00 and the insurance adjuster figured that the car had $9,000.00 in salvage value, so they declared it a total loss. I am getting within $400.00 of what I paid for it. So we went out and bought a new WRX to replace it.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
swc7916 said:

Thankfully nobody was hurt. My son was driving when a car shot out of the parking lot (in the background) in front of him. The Impreza's front end absorbed the impact so well that the airbags didn't even go off! Anyway, the repair estimate was over $12,000.00 and the insurance adjuster figured that the car had $9,000.00 in salvage value, so they declared it a total loss. I am getting within $400.00 of what I paid for it. So we went out and bought a new WRX to replace it.
Ouch, sorry to hear that.

I'm 80% certain that your airbags SHOULD have deployed though, perhaps the sensor was defective.

·
Registered
800 Posts
FastSly said:

Ouch, sorry to hear that.

I'm 80% certain that your airbags SHOULD have deployed though, perhaps the sensor was defective.
I concur with FastSly. In a crash that did that much front end damage I would think the airbags would have deployed. have them checked.

Glad to here everyone is ok.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I concur with FastSly. In a crash that did that much front end damage I would think the airbags would have deployed. have them checked. [/B]
According to the estimator at the body shop, the car and airbags did what they were designed to do and it was not unusual that the airbags did not deploy. What it is a testament to is fact that the design of the front of the Impreza is such that it absorbed enough of the impact that the airbags didn't need to go off. One thing that I was impressed about was that even though the fenders and hood folded up, the gap between the fender and door did not change at all! I would have expected the fender to be driven back into the door.

·
Registered
17 Posts
swc7916 said:

Ack.. at least you can get a new ride out of it.

Wish I woulda saw yer post before I bought new wheels. I bent both my passenger side wheels in a nasty pothole... had the same wheels as you. Dealer wanted to charge me $339 a piece for them... I ended up just buying a full set for cheaper on Ebay... Maybe I coulda got a good deal on yours :D

Glad no one wsa hurt, and thankful I got a Subie OBS.. now I know I'll be pretty safe in one!

Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
9 Participants
Sipperphoto
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing