Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
  • Submissions are now being taken for JUNE OUTBACK OF THE MONTH
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 OBW w/4EAT here.

I have a strange issue:
When accelerating at normal speed from a standstill, the car will have a slight 'bounce' immediately after it shifts from 2nd to 3rd. I have come to the conclusion that this must be an AWD issue. From what I understand, the 4EAT will shift power from all 4 wheels in 2nd gear ---> to 90% front wheels in 3rd gear.

If this is truly the case, then what part of the AWD system is responsible for easing that transition? Is it the transfer case or the actual transmission itself? (I know that they are housed together... just trying to narrow it down)

THanks.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the thoughtful responses.

1 Lucky Texan: I attempted what you suggested. It does seem to have the symptoms that you suggested. Quick info on the car -- 78,000mi. Been in the family since new. I very recently got it as a hand me down from my sister. Other than regular M1 oil changes, not much has been done to the car. Typical maintenance stuff like cv replacement, battery replacement, tires, iridium plugs, etc. Nothing big. I don't think that the trans. fluid has ever been changed.

cardoc: I will check the fluid quality and level tomorrow.

plain OM: I was hesitant in writing the 2nd to 3rd 90% thing. You're right that I stated that based onwhat I've read on the net. I was also skeptical about it and figured someone like you would step in and spill the beans. To answer your question, I did not mess with the FWD fuse... yet. The best way I can describe the bounce is that it happens about a half second after the transmission engages from 2nd to 3rd. It jerks. It's almost like a stutter, though without a loss of power.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.