Subaru Outback Forums banner

Braided Stainless Brake Lines in the GEN 4?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bradze 
#1 ·
Has anyone swapped the stock brake lines for stainless steel on their Gen 4 OB? Could improve response? Don't think it would cause anyharm. Just sending out a feeler to see what members' opinions are.

I did the obligatory forum and site searches and didn't find the information.

#2 ·
Don't think it would cause anyharm.
SS lines have a different failure pattern than stock rubber ones. I wouldn't call them worse, but you need to educate yourself about it to have proper confidence.

Here is a PDF which covers it nicely. I would direct your attention to page 2, the bit about clear plastic coverings.

http://www.centricparts.com/files/technical guides/stainless-steel-brake-lines.pdf

In short, SS lines without the extra coating should be replaced frequently, and those with the extra layer can go longer.

In any case, you'll want to inspect it carefully and frequently at first. Consider making notes about it in the manual in case you sell or trade the car.

#4 ·
SS lines have a different failure pattern than stock rubber ones. I wouldn't call them worse, but you need to educate yourself about it to have proper confidence.

Here is a PDF which covers it nicely. I would direct your attention to page 2, the bit about clear plastic coverings.

http://www.centricparts.com/files/technical guides/stainless-steel-brake-lines.pdf

In short, SS lines without the extra coating should be replaced frequently, and those with the extra layer can go longer.

In any case, you'll want to inspect it carefully and frequently at first. Consider making notes about it in the manual in case you sell or trade the car.

Much appreciated. I note everything I do to the vehicle except for fuel fills. I have 80% left on my pads after almost 36K miles, so if I do swap the lines it will be a while and after proper research. In the meantime, I will probably just flush the lines with fresh fluid.

If anyone has done it to the Gen 4, please post for those of us who are interested in improving the brake response.

#3 ·
It is hard to find info on Brake upgrades for our Outbacks for sure. Plenty of accessories for Legacy or other models but nobody seems to stock Brake parts for Outbacks.

I eventually would like to do the SS lines and upgrade to high quality brake pads. Not sure if it is worth the $ for new rotors too...probably will pass on new rotors. Definitely will pass on crazy expensive new calipers.

#5 ·
i forget what site said they had them available for legacies of the same year and that it "may" fit the outback, but they could not verify that. i don't think itll be worth it, but if you put on brembos, slotted 2-pc rotors and new lines, cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.