Subaru Outback Forums banner

Brake and Shake

5920 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  mopartodd
I have a 2011 Outback with just over 21,500 miles on the clock.
Last weekend I went on a trip west on I-70 from Denver. Coming down The westbound side of Eisenhower Tunnel, east and westbound sides of Vail Pass, and Floyd Hill into Denver, I experienced a what I consider a severe wheel shake when braking.

I have been driving this route in many different cars over the last 35+ years (since Glenwood Canyon was US 6 and two lanes boys and girls) and this is the first time I have seen this happen.

I'm not 100% sure this is tied to the other shake issues our Outbacks exhibit. When driving on a flat surface at 60-70 MPH sometimes I get a very slight shake, and other times I do not - I attribute this to road surface, but may be wrong.

I have a dealer appointment next week - any thoughts would be appreciated.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
brake and shake, possible reason

I had a similar experience with my old 2000 Outback. It was a warped front brake rotor. Not noticeable on the flats, but severe when trying to slow down coming down a steep grade on I5 in northern California. Rotor replaced and no more problem. Usual cause is excessive heat from too aggressive braking (like having to slow quickly for a slow car in front of you) or continuous braking coming down hills. Have your dealer put a dial indicator on each rotor and check the run out. Hope this helps you narrow down the problem.

· Registered
91 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.