Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The DIY links here say traditional sequence of RR-LR-RF-LF but other Subie forums say to use diagonal sequence of RF-LR-LR-RR and show a picture from the FSM. Is it possible that Subaru made a change between Gen 3 and Gen 4? Can someone please confirm the correct sequence of a 2007 Outback 2.5? Thanks.

·
Registered
16,293 Posts
I had a quick look at my copy of the FSM for 07 and didn't see any "order" in the brake line bleeding section. (See attached)

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had read somewhere to start at the closest position to the master-cylinder, which would be LF.

I did it both ways, just to be safe. How much extra fluid could you possibly use?

When I bled them all - basically replacing ALL my fluid, I still ended up with enough to flush the Power Steering on both the OB and my work truck and still have some leftover in the quart container!

I went from the OEM DOT 3 to Castrol Synthetic DOT 4 which is supposedly fully-backwards compatible with 3.

So far, everything is fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a quick look at my copy of the FSM for 07 and didn't see any "order" in the brake line bleeding section. (See attached)
Look at the note in paragraph 7 in Section 2 -- Brake Line. It says to bleed in order starting with wheel farthest from Master Cylcinder. So, which wheel would that be???

·
Registered
16,293 Posts
Right you are. I didn't read closely enough. In which case, the farthest, I would think, is the RR.

The distance can be problematic because the lines go from the master cylinder to the ABS controller, then to the brake force distributor, and then to the wheels. Which one ends up being the longest distance as the hoses go could be different than which is farthest "as the crow flies". I'm sort of with Saint J VT -- it probably doesn't matter all that much if it's done thoroughly. But others might have a different view.

In any event, thanks for spotting that error.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right you are. I didn't read closely enough. In which case, the farthest, I would think, is the RR.

(The distance can be problematic because the lines go from the master cylinder to the ABS controller, then to the brake force distributor, and then to the wheels. Which one ends up being the longest distance as the hoses go could be different than which is farthest "as the crow flies". I'm sort of with Saint J VT -- it probably doesn't matter all that much if it's done thoroughly. But others might have a different view.

In any event, thanks for spotting that error.
Here is the diagonal sequence I mentioned in my first post:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=73198&d=1252360096

·
Registered
16,293 Posts
The RF and LR, and then LF and RR approach is reflecting the cross pattern of the dual brake system. But in that one they're bleeding the closest one first, RF and LF.

I can understand doing RF and LR sequentially, because that clears that circuit. But wonder whether doing RF first, or LR first, really makes any significant difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
plain OM
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing