Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, as I was cruising down a one-way street, a motorcycle popped out and turned against the traffic direction. So I found out the brakes are good enough to trigger antilock on dry pavement. :oops:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I wonder how accident reconstruction has changed since anti-lock brakes mostly eliminate skid marks?
Funny you should ask. Although I'm not a Forensic Investigator I work closely with the Police as a Forensic analyst. My field is Fingerprints and Shoe impressions. The whole skid mark thing is now a lost art thanks to antilock brakes although they can leave very small patches as they engage and release. But to be honest, the usefulness of such evidence was always very limited and embellished for film and tv.

Now with cameras on every corner and dash-cams in cars, much more information can be obtained than ever before.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Funny you should ask. Although I'm not a Forensic Investigator I work closely with the Police as a Forensic analyst. My field is Fingerprints and Shoe impressions.
What's your impression of these shoes?

The whole skid mark thing is now a lost art thanks to antilock brakes although they can leave very small patches as they engage and release. But to be honest, the usefulness of such evidence was always very limited and embellished for film and tv.
I imagine the most useful thing about skid marks prior to antilock brakes would have been simply whether or not there was any attempt at all to stop before collision. When my brother died a number of years ago he drove straight into the back of a parked tractor trailer truck at highway speed. The truck was parked at a turnout along side of the highway and there was no sign of skid marks or any other sign that he tried to stop or avoid impact. No definite conclusion could be determined so we just have to speculate whether he had a medical issue, fell asleep, or drove into the truck intentionally.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yesterday, as I was cruising down a one-way street, a motorcycle popped out and turned against the traffic direction. So I found out the brakes are good enough to trigger antilock on dry pavement. :oops:
I do this often on rural roads as folks pull out of driveways behind bushes without checking for traffic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
SUMSKILLZ
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing