Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited w/ Tech Pkg
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the factory 4 pin trailer connector on my 2017 outback, but now i need power for the brakes on my 3500lb trailer. I have blue and black 12v lines wired to a 7 pin on the hitch (connected to the factory 4 pin), and run through the interior of the car up to the driver side to meet my brake controller. Now i just need 12v to the brake controller and the 12v aux for the trailer.

I was thinking about poking a hole through what appears to be the main electrical grommet on the driver side of my 2017 outback to get to the battery. However, I noticed on another forum that someone mentioned there are unused spots on the interior fuse box. So;

1. Are all the unlabeled interior fuses actually free for use ? My interior fuse cover shows #13(10A), #25(7.5A), #30(10A), #36(10A) as unlabeled.

2. Has anyone successfully wired a brake controller to the interior fuse box? Did you simply swap out one of the 10A fuses in an unused spot for a 30A fuse?

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
For the benefit of anyone reading this, no, and no. Do not attempt to apply an up to 30 Amp load on a circuit rated for 10 amps, and do not tow 3500 lbs with a vehicle which permits only 200lbs on the hitch. Is there any other particular reason for the name "krazy"?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited w/ Tech Pkg
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm leaning more and more towards just going to the battery once i get an hour to work on it again.

I do see 30amp circuits already used in the interior panel, and some of the circuits like the front and rear power aren't going to be used by me, so i figured there was enough total power being supplied to the interior panel to support another 30amp for trailer brakes if you used the correct wires, but it looks like going to the battery is much easier after looking at how tight the interior fuse panel is packed up.

3500lb is just the axel rating for my trailer, i'm aware of the tongue and vehicle towing limits and their implications with vehicle speed and stability, the trailer it's self only weighs 700lbs which is fairly decent for an enclosed trailer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts