Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a small wet puddle below the power steering canister (where you fill the fluid). The fluid was recently changed and the tech center did not say a thing about any leaks. Anyways, may be an old puddle from the change.
I am going to watch the fluid level.....looks ok for now......levels up at cold line
or near it. If fluid is needed in the future....what type does it take. The canister cap says ATF Dextron. Is there a a certain type required for a 98 Outback Legacy? Also, can you overfill it? Anyways will watch the leak, I read there are gaskets, seals, etc that can wear out in that area.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Probably O ring in reservoir, but there are other o rings/ gaskets in unit. A search will give you a DIY.
Yes std Dexron 2 or 3 is fine. Anything but 5, which is synthetic.
You can overfill anything which you can add to, but it would be obvious in this case for it would come out the top as you secure the cap.

O.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,704 Posts
look in the tank while idling. it's possible to have the system suck in so much air, the fluid foams it's way out of the cap. Of course, if the outside of the tank is dry, this is not likely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts