Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just bought a new brake hose for my 99 Legacy Outback. The passenger side front had gone bad. I noticed that one end of the hose connects to the caliper? And the other to what someone told me was the proportionator? Something about redistributing braking power to other wheels if one goes out. The connection is to a little copper? tube that wraps around and up into the engine compartment to a box right in front of the air cleaner. My problem ...

In attempting to change the hose myself, I broke the tube off right where it connects to the brake hose. Is this severe? Is it dangerous to drive while it's busted? Is it expensive to replace?

Thanks (and any terminology is appreciated).

Paul

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Getting it to a shop should be your #1 priority now. Banjo bolt, connects to the caliper with a copper crush washer for a gasket. The nut should be tightened with a flare nut wrench for a perfect fit. And if the hose/piping is bad now, take it in for sure. Leave the brake problems to the experts. Brian

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Paul--

YES, it's dangerous to drive. tow to shop ASAP! the thing in front of air cleaner is the ABS hydraulic assembly, and the pipe that broke sounds like the main brake line to the caliper. they're not hideously expensive but pretty necessary for stopping.

i'd guess the reason it broke is that you didn't use a 2d wrench to hold the hex on the end of the pipe stationary while you tightened the hose onto it with the other wrench....this is critical with all metal line hydraulic systems and esp with brakes since lines are so small and easily twisted.

bw

1 - 3 of 3 Posts