Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get Info for doing a brake job on a 2002 Legacy OB. I Just can't see paying Dealer $250 for just the rears. I've done other cars before with no problem but I just like to have a guide, any info would great.:( :confused:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Roscoe--

check sevl of the recent threads on here, we've been discussing brakes at length. reading those willl get you on right track.

secondly, go get a Haynes manual for late 90s Legacy/OB...abt $14 at Pep Boys....nobody explains better for the driveway mech than Haynes, as they buy, disassemble and reassemble en entire car to write manual and try to find alternatives for a special factory tool whenever they can. there may be some detail differences but the genl design of Sub calipers and how you change pads and rotors hasn't changed that much.

spend some of the $ you save on either turning old rotors or buying new ones instead of just puttin em back together with old rotor faces. and remember when in doubt, clean it with solvent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why do I need to pay money on the silly scoobymods site just so I can interact w/ other Subaru owners?

I'm just trying to see if I need any special tools before I replace the front pads on my 2002 Outback!!

As an individual who works in the computer industry, who relies on the posts of other users and experts and is willing to share what I know, I find this ridiculous.

This is too much like going to work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No you don't need any special tools to replace the front brake pads but you should remove the rotors and have them cut.
Mine are warpped so I'm replacing them cost me about $60 each on line for better quality than OEM. Hope to do it this week or next.

·
Registered
63 Posts
crazy roscoe,
I need to replace pads and rotors on my 2000 Outback, Would like to get better than OEM. What brand did you choose, and where on- line did you get them?

Thanks,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pedaler8090: I found Raybestos PG Plus rotors at www.rockauto.com for $58 each local parts store wanted $85 and said they were excellent much heavier than OEM.
For pads I purchased EBC green pads low dust & excellent stopping power those I searched for the cheapest price on line which was $58 I don't recall who I purchased from & have yet to do the job.
Hope this info was helpfull

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brake job on outback

Well, I did the brake job both front and rear on my 2002 OB. Once I saw everything, I was amazed at how simple it was.
I got oem brakes for $50; so, doing both front and rear, I paid $100 for the pads-dealer would have charged me $200. (As time goes on, probably these pads will become more and more common, probably even lifetime guar-then just return them for new ones when they wear out!)

It took me about 20 minutes for both sides on the rear (including jacking up the car, removing wheels, etc.)

The dealer says you should turn the rotors on the car (how do they do that I wonder?).

I do know of a guy who specializes in Subaru, used to work at a dealership, but got sick of it. But he is here in California-only recently found out about him.

Judging by the posts, it looks like warped rotors are a common problem on these; are they cheap rotors (maybe Japanese) from the factory?

If you are mechanical at all, doing the brakes on the Outback are pretty easy-just get the rotors turned if they are warped; As mentioned above, I'm still gonna research to see if the should be turned on the car.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
interesting. i'd never heard of such a thing either, i'd always just yanked the rotors. 'course, the rest of the car was sitting on stands in the driveway so getting it to the on-car lathe might have been tough...

one suggestion: you can get a cheap but adequate "dial indicator", the tool used to measure rotor warpage among other things, for abt $20 plus another $15 or so for base, at Harbor Fright or other Chinese tool emporia. this will let you check if the rotors need to be yanked or taken to an on-car lathe before you begin to pull em. just be sure the base of the indicator is anchored to something REALLY heavy and immobile, like large heavy tool box or you won't get accurate reading.

bw

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
PBR metal masters!

Primitive Enterprises has a great deal on PBR metal masters $90 for front/rear pads!

I just did mine and wow! As a mechainic by trade I suggest turning the rotors this way you'll have maximum efficiency. a true/turned(machined) rotor gives the brake pads more surface area to apply evenly therefore no pulling .

clean the sliding surfaces on the spider where the caliper(pads)mount/ slides.
Disc brake quiet is a good idea too . Apply to backing plate of pads for less noise(remember the pads are floating when the caliper is not applied.)some pads have disc brake quiet material on the backing plate like the PBR Metal masters.
you can bleed you brakes too if the fluid is dirty or exposed to alot of moisture(live at the coast/mtns/humid area or anywhere it rains alot!

I just did a cruise around mt.Hood with other subies and I had great brakes! wahoo! My subies has an auto trans too! so good brakes is a plus !

·
Registered
17 Posts
I replaced the front pads, on my 2000 Outback, and it squeals more now. I did not have the rotors turned, as they felt really smooth. I also get a grinding noise at complete stop. Im bummed. Here is a question: is there supposed to be a shim on the front pads ? Someone told me that some of the foreign cars use a shim, but I dont remember there being one when I took the old pads off. Anyone have any issues with the calipers ? The car only has 40k on it.

Either way, its all gonna have to wait til after Christmas.....and its below zero here in Chicago. Not to mention the garage packed to the ceiling with Christmas stuff.

Have a great holiday everyone !!

Ed

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
get your rotors turned!

always turn your rotors, due to the pad wearing into the rotor over time creates grooves , uneven surface areafrom heat. The rotor may look smooth but it's not. Your steering may pull while braking.

There are factory shims that fit over the brake pads backing plate .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hmmm...there are factory shims??? Then maybe thats my problem. I either didnt have any, or threw them out with the old pads. Im sure this is a "dealer only" part. Bummer.

Thanks for the info !

Ed

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Yeah, no need to turn rotors these days unless there is a definite problem with them. And as for the shims, there are slices of metal with a piece of rubber sandwiched on it that goes behind the pads. At least it is like that for some Subaru's. I have heard you don't have to use them, but You might as well use them if they are ther to begin with. Aftermarket pads do not come with Subaru specific shims.

You can go to subaruwrxparts.com and at least take a gander at the shim setup. Brian

Subaru parts.

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
I don't agree

Ok I suppose the 5 brake jobs I did this week alone isn't enough. well how bout the hundreds of brake jobs I've done since '84.

I do this for a living on all makes/models including heavy truck/equipment.

I work on fleets of vehichles not just my own personal vehichles. I guess I can through out $30,000 in tools . 3yrs in technical school as well. Oh yeah all the advice /training on the job from folks whove been at this for over 30yrs.

How much experience do you have? Training? hmmm.......

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
14 Participants
AudiA8
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing