Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
04 outback 3.0R
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fella's
The wife's 3.0R Outback rear passenger brake light globe has blown,now Ive read the owners manual and attemped to remove the (plastic)screws and pop the light assembly out as per manuals instructions but with out any luck ,I heard a few cracks and it freaked me out so Ive put it all back together and am worried Im might wreck/break somthing if I try any harder.
Any hints as to how to remove this assembly boys.

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 Baja Turbo
106 Posts
Mine on my Baja was hard to remove,yours might be kinda done the same way.Mine has 2 10 mm bolts on one side,and the other side has 2 round metal pins that snap into plastic fastners.These are on the outer part of the tail lamp.I took a flat head screw driver and stuck the blade between the lamp and body,using a rag.Then twist the screw driver like your trying to pry it out and at the same time Slap the side of the lamp with a backward motion to pop it off.I thought i was going to break my tail lamp from hitting it so hard.It took a few good licks.If you get it off and it has those pins,don't forget to put some grease in those plastic fastners for next time,it makes a world of difference.Good Luck:D

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
Replaced my brake/tail lights with a pair of the red LED kind (9 facing back, 6 around edge).

It's a 2004 Impreza Outback Sport, so could be different, but it had a tabular slide-in sort of connection on the upper side and forward, as well as the bolts and (I think) a single snap-in pin behind the lens housing. I forget now but I also think there were two of those black plastic screw-like clips, too.

What I hadn't realized was that upper, side and forward (toward front of car) would be trouble. That could be what you were encountering. You can't force the housing sideways, up or down, only back. Then that other stud is holding the lower part and I had to double check it was back together when done by pushing on the middle of the lens housing or else it was still not seated all the way in.

That tabular slide-in piece was the difficulty though. And getting it aligned to put back together was a problem, even with so little leeway for misguiding it.

So, if the Outback is like this too then watch out for the way that only allows the housing to go straight back or else you'll damage either the one on the body of the car or the one on the back of the lens housing. In a diagram it might look as if it pulls out toward the side instead.

Again, mine's the Impreza Outback Sport and not a Outback.

·
Registered
04 outback 3.0R
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any one replaced a globe in an 04/05 Outback wagon as yet .

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Not me, I have a 98. But it should be easy.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
jimmbo said:
anyone?/?
Nope, sorry. Surprised that you need to already, should normally last a bit longer than that..

·
Registered
04 outback 3.0R
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a chance to go to subaru yesterday,I know the service guy there,he replaced the globe for me now I know now how to remove the assembly.
Open the wagon door,remove the 2 screws/clips in the black plastic trim and remove the trim peice pulling towards the centre of the car .then you can get to 2 10mm srews then pull the complete light assembly back parrallel with the body and the assembly is out then just twist the globe assembly from the light unit.The globes are the push/click in style.

$4.40 for the globes.
wala ,I hope this helps the next guy/gal

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Huh, sounds more complicated than a lot of other cars I've seen. Kind of makes me miss the days when you only needed to remove one or a few philips screws from the outside and open the light housing.

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
Roo--

what results on the LED bulbs?? worth the $?? where'd you get em? thanks!

·
Registered
05 safety 5 speed
98 Posts
Jimmbo, "remove two screws/clips in black plastic trim" - can you be more specific on these screws/clips please? Exactly where are they? At floor level on the back of the pillar is a tie down chrome loop held in place by 10mm bolt ....?? Is this the place to look? I dont recall seeing any screws or clips in that area, or I would have pulled them...
TIA,
jp 05 OBW 5spd 2.5

1 - 11 of 11 Posts