Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
08 2.5 MT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did an oil change and washed the car, helped a buddy with suspension on his car, and then a few minutes after backing it out of the driveway I was at a red light and the pedal lost pressure and went to the floor. Luckily i'm so used to engine braking that the route i was on didn't cause too much stress. I'm just curious to know if replacing the lines myself would be too difficult and if it should be left up to a professional. Incidentally I just finished a LCA job on it last week and adding insult to injury brake fluid pools into the bushing below it. Advice, walkthroughs and recommendations are all sincerely appreciated.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
When I fixed the brake lines on my moms grand am a few years back, i didn't replace all the line. I cut out the bad line. Then i I bought new line and cut it to fit in where the old was cut out. With a few compression fittings the old rusty lines where replaced. Then had to bleed the brakes and then they worked like new. It ran me less then $20.00 to fix. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17,205 Posts
. . .Brake line gave out below the brake booster 3rd gen OB with rusted steel lines . .
Is that one of the two lines coming from the master cylinder that go across to the ABS control module?

There was a 3rd gen recall for rusting brake lines at the rear of the car, but I don't recall any concerns or reports of rusting lines in the engine compartment area below the booster/master cylinder.

Can you post some photos of the line that rusted? It might help with responses, but also it would identify an area that perhaps should be periodically inspected more closely. Might save a life . . .

·
Registered
08 2.5 MT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In contact with subaru of america, have an appt with dealership on monday. Sounds like it may not have to come out of pocket. Yes what you describe is where its at. two parallel lines below the booster. I'll get a picture and add it here. Still had some braking power but not nearly enough to stop in a hurry. The car also was sold to me with a parking brake that is completely shot. Not sure how they managed slap an inspection sticker on it.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
407 Posts
It can be time consuming but not extremely difficult. It depends how much time you got and how complete you want it to be. If one rusted out you might consider replacing most of them because the rest aren't far behind most likely. On older cars its one of the things I do when they look bad ive had 2 vehicles that blew when I went to stop.

·
Registered
17,205 Posts
I'll get a picture and add it here.
Thanks.

I had a closer look at my 07, given your situation. The two lines from the master go down along the firewall, across for a few inches, and then back up. The bulk of the lines are relatively high on the firewall. Also, they are covered with a plastic coating. (It's the rusting where there's an absence of the coating at a few points at the back of the car that led to the recall.)

Here's a photo of the lower lines that I managed to get. This is the one area that I could imagine rusting, as it is somewhat lower, especially if the coating is missing.

(The third line in the photo going off on an angle is from the ABS unit to the left front wheel.)

Look forward to your photo(s).

·
Registered
08 2.5 MT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.

I had a closer look at my 07, given your situation. The two lines from the master go down along the firewall, across for a few inches, and then back up. The bulk of the lines are relatively high on the firewall. Also, they are covered with a plastic coating. (It's the rusting where there's an absence of the coating at a few points at the back of the car that led to the recall.)

Here's a photo of the lower lines that I managed to get. This is the one area that I could imagine rusting, as it is somewhat lower, especially if the coating is missing.

(The third line in the photo going off on an angle is from the ABS unit to the left front wheel.)

Look forward to your photo(s).

View attachment 481295
Subaru of America is going to pay the dealership for all of the costs of repair. This is excellent news to someone without an income right now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts