Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I was backing into my driveway and put the car in park and then back into reverse to back further and the brake pedal went straight through the floor. Great. I looked underneath and immediately saw where all the fluid poured out. The line going into the coupling on the passenger side rear had popped. With some research I found there’s a recall for the same location being subject to corrosion.
Will Subaru cover this? My car is a 2006 outback with 187,000 miles and I’m the third owner. It being Sunday and Monday being Labor Day I can’t get in contact with Subaru or my dealership until Tuesday.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Are you serious? How can you expect any 'free' coverage on a 13 year old car with over 150K miles?

Brake lines rust through over time. Especially if you drive on salted roads in the winter. There will be other unexpected repairs too. You need to decide if it is time to keep fixing your car.... or upgrade to something less likely to need repairs.

I like to replace brake lines with "Copper-Nickel" alloy. It is MUCH more resistant to corrosion. European vehicles have been using "Copper-Nickel" alloy for many years right from the factory.

·
Registered
225 Posts

Input your vin and it will tell you if there is an open recall for this vehicle. If it does, it means it was never done and they should honor it. If not then I would be calling subaru of america. While the previous post is factually correct subaru made good on this serious safety issue. I have a 2009 and the dealer just did my brake like recall. the lines weren't blown but they would have done it if they were. I believe they were legally obligated because of the recall If not and you don't want to pay the dealer to correct it i believe there are posts on this site to fix it without having to dig into the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Input your vin and it will tell you if there is an open recall for this vehicle. If it does, it means it was never done and they should honor it. If not then I would be calling subaru of america. While the previous post is factually correct subaru made good on this serious safety issue. I have a 2009 and the dealer just did my brake like recall. the lines weren't blown but they would have done it if they were. I believe they were legally obligated because of the recall If not and you don't want to pay the dealer to correct it i believe there are posts on this site to fix it without having to dig into the car.
Thanks I was researching last night and found the vin check. It has been done before. I will go about replacing the line today, I think my plan is to cut where it comes in under the rear passenger seat and screw it out of the coupling. (if it will come out)

·
Registered
16,314 Posts
There was a case here not too long ago where a brake line that had been inspected during the original recall had begun to leak. In that case, the recall records showed the inspection had been done, but the photos the OP posted looked as if the lines had not been sprayed, or not been sprayed adequately, in accordance with the recall. If I recall correctly, Subaru paid for the replacement, which was for the complete line(s) from the engine compartment to their ends at the back.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes, if you can get photos of it and send to SOA and tell them the recall wasnt done correctly, they may cover it. As far as the post of these things happen, while that is true, a manufacturer has legal obligations to perform recalls on any Safety related items. Hence all these cars with air bag recalls. Gone are the pinto days where it was cheaper for a manufacturer to pay small lawsuits then to fix the problem. Since this is a generation problem it is a legal obligation. If it was some 1 off toyota camry, then you would need to pay for it yourself.
Edit: Here is a link to the other post

·
Registered
21 Posts
I purchased my car as the 3rd owner. I was driving on the road and brakes gave out. It was the same area and issue you mentioned. The dealer reported the recall was “done” a year prior, meaning they sprayed it. I’m in the rust belt and they honoured the repair under goodwill at their cost. Downtime was about 2 weeks. It’s a big job. You are correct, if you do it yourself, you’ll save a LOT more time if you cut into and jig something to replace that coupling. Good luck.

I’d suggest as much as possible, even if difficult, to be as polite as you can when dealing with SOA/SOC and the dealer.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I purchased my car as the 3rd owner. I was driving on the road and brakes gave out. It was the same area and issue you mentioned. The dealer reported the recall was “done” a year prior, meaning they sprayed it. I’m in the rust belt and they honoured the repair under goodwill at their cost. Downtime was about 2 weeks. It’s a big job. You are correct, if you do it yourself, you’ll save a LOT more time if you cut into and jig something to replace that coupling. Good luck.

I’d suggest as much as possible, even if difficult, to be as polite as you can when dealing with SOA/SOC and the dealer.
The dealer sprayed mine with whatever it is they use. I've read its some kind of wax. When I picked up the car I specifically asked how long the coating will last. They said "...the life of the vehicle." I haven't gotten under to look at the job but I if it seems hinky I'll probably try to strip it off and shoot it or brush it with some por15. I have only read about a few cases where the coating didnt last. But that's a few too many.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That’s the thing. When I bought the car and heckled for recalls, all were done except the Takata airbag recall. I didn’t even know about the brake line recall until the failure and I spoke with my mechanic. Very thankful the kids were not in the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I patched the bad section today and the cars back to normal. The other line still looks awful. Did I hinder my chance of them touching it at all by fixing it?

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
I patched the bad section today and the cars back to normal. The other line still looks awful. Did I hinder my chance of them touching it at all by fixing it?
If there was any obligation of Subaru to again replace the failed brake line, given it had been already recalled once and had a lifetime warranty, there would likely be process where you might reclaim the cost you bore repairing it again outside of Subaru.

Mind you, these are both big "ifs".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info, I got the ball rolling with Subaru of America. Just waiting for a reply.

·
Registered
2 Posts
FWIW, I had that recall done 3 years ago. The dealership in Plattsburgh, NY only applied that spray.

One year later, those brake lines ruptured...

Plattsburgh dealership wanted big $$ to repair.

Called SOA (in New Jersey somewhere); they said nothing they could do as the recall was "properly" accomplished for my car.

I told them that their recall instructions to dealerships were faulty / or that my dealership did not do the job properly... SOA still would not pay.

I told SOA I was going to lodge a complaint to the NHTSA about this SOA faulty recall process... Was put on hold for 2 minutes and they agreed to pay for the job, and provide a free car rental while on repair...

2008 Outback Base 5MT, bought new at SaintJ Subaru, Vt (great dealership) on December 2007

(Excuse my french-glish :) )

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is a terrifying recall. Where do you look to know if it was done, or done correctly? I've tried looking around, but don't know that I've seen any coating.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
This is a terrifying recall. Where do you look to know if it was done, or done correctly? I've tried looking around, but don't know that I've seen any coating.
I'd first call SOA with your VIN and ask about the completion of that recall. If it's been done, they will have either replaced the brake lines (should look clean, dark green coating, likely new junction block on the RH side) or coated in this thick, white-yellow goop along the exposed sections.

There's a small (2 x 4 in.) access hatch underneath the car, RH side, just in front of the rear tire. Pop that open and it should provide a decent view of the infamous junction block. You should be able to see enough to determine if it was completed correctly (or at all).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you. Yeah, the Carfax and vin check only says it needs airbag recall which is scheduled next week. I'm assuming that means it was checked at some point for the brake lines since it's not an open recall.

Will definitely check after it gets out of the shop, hopefully today. Noted a CV boot broken (grumble) after just getting the thing, but that's off topic a little.

With this recall, really hope it's okay. Looks like their fix with coating may also still be scary, due to plastic clips getting corrosion under them. Hopefully it's all stainless or really well coated. If not, I'll definitely take pictures and try to take it up with Subaru. Things are supposed to be safe and all ;)

Hope the op got them to fix too. Really should be owned by Subaru on this. It's not like they didn't know this was a major safety concern.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you. Yeah, the Carfax and vin check only says it needs airbag recall which is scheduled next week. I'm assuming that means it was checked at some point for the brake lines since it's not an open recall.

Will definitely check after it gets out of the shop, hopefully today. Noted a CV boot broken (grumble) after just getting the thing, but that's off topic a little.

With this recall, really hope it's okay. Looks like their fix with coating may also still be scary, due to plastic clips getting corrosion under them. Hopefully it's all stainless or really well coated. If not, I'll definitely take pictures and try to take it up with Subaru. Things are supposed to be safe and all ;)

Hope the op got them to fix too. Really should be owned by Subaru on this. It's not like they didn't know this was a major safety concern.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

Unfortunately, it's more of the same. The real issue was the original anti-protective finish on the brake lines were worn-off by the retaining clips and once rust starts, it spreads like an infection. The replacement is also supposed to be coated after install to prevent future issues. Some people have had them replaced with alternative materials (like stainless or the copper-nickle stuff) on their own dime.

Luckily, there have been several success stories of owners having the lines replaced after "recall completion" and they still fail. It's likely to be more of a battle, but it sounds like Subaru is still owning the issue than passing it off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
10 Participants
RoughDiamond
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing