Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to replace the brake line assmbly underneath the hood of my outback.(what a pain) There's plenty of air throughout the system now and I'm not sure how t start getting the new brake fluid through the system. I've read the order that I'm supposed to bleed them in but haven't seen anything about the master cylinder. I opened the front passenger bleeder and filled the reservoir but it's not going into the system. Do I need to do something with the master cylinder first? Thanks for any input.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,348 Posts
What horseless carriage we talking about here?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Try to just post one thread, not multiples.

Just keep bleeding it - there's no trick or tool or anything, if the system has been drained or has large amounts of air they are very time consuming to bleed. Those are much longer and more annoying to bleed than a standard brake bleed or just replacing calipers, it's easy to wish you just paid someone to bleed these kinds of jobs.

Buy lots of bottles of fluid - seriously, like a lot. If I was doing this I'd want like at least 3 of those large bottles on hand, I can always return the ones I don't open. If you're just buying one little bottle or only one big one - you're not bleeding nearly enough for a system that was just drained top to bottom.

I just had to replace the brake line assmbly underneath the hood.
What did you replace?

Rusty metal lines?
Master Cylinder
ABS unit?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I posted the second thread beacuse I wasn't sure if I put the first one in the right place. I'm new to all of this forum stuff and am still figuring out how to navigate but thank you.

I replaced due to a rust hole in the line. I've got 2 and a half bottles. I knew it takes some time but the fluid doesn't seem to be leaving the reservoir at all. I'm too nervous to just crack it loose and walk away but may have to. You're right about wishing I gave the job to somebody. Just getting the lines in place was difficult enough.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,819 Posts
Ok, as I thought: it doesn't work to just open the bleed screw and wait for it to run through.

If you look up manual hydraulic brake bleeding procedures you will find you have to pump the pedal while the bleed screw is closed and then open the screw while maintaining pressure on the pedal. This pushes the fluid through the system under pressure. Repeat as needed (which will be a bunch of times).

The alternative is to use a pressurized system attached at the master cylinder reservoir to push it through or a vacuum system attached at the bleed screw to pull it through.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts