Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what a good brake caliper lube is for the calipers,backing of the pads seals, pins and boots etc... I did not look at the owners manual prior but called a dealer and they use copper-type lube they said.

I have Permatex 24110 (Syn) and 24115 (Silicone) and have used this in the past with no issues on any vehicle. If anyone has any ideas or knows what the 'correct' lube should be so the piston seals, boots and pins are not ruined let me know.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I did the rear brakes on my '06 Forester today and used Permatex #22063 (syn), its what i've always used on my Subaru's and others that i've done without a problem... either of the ones you've used are probably good too, afterall its just lube

·
Registered
514 Posts
A high-temp lube meant for that purpose, good for at least 600 degrees (F).
I put it on each contact point and where pads had backing plates, covered the area in between the entire plate and back of pad with a thin film of the grease due to the harsh, corrosive winter driving we have.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have used ATE Plastilube on the backs of pads and on pad-to-caliper retaining bracket contact points with success. In reality almost anything works but I like the consistency of Plastilube. I have never had to re-apply half-way through the pads because of squeaking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
tommersyip
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing