Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
95 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 98 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 99 Legacy Outback EJ25 4EAT "Agent 99", 01 Forester EJ25 4EAT
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is actually my '99 Forester, but I expect the answer to be consistent across models.

I'm replacing the rear disk pads. The new ones came with those little springy fingers that rub against the rotor and squeal when you've worn about 2/3 of the pad away. The old ones didn't have them, and the manual doesn't show them. Is there a recommended position for them i.e. inner/outer/up/down?

thx.mch.

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
This is actually my '99 Forester, but I expect the answer to be consistent across models.

I'm replacing the rear disk pads. The new ones came with those little springy fingers that rub against the rotor and squeal when you've worn about 2/3 of the pad away. The old ones didn't have them, and the manual doesn't show them. Is there a recommended position for them i.e. inner/outer/up/down?

thx.mch.
They go on the inside pad if they are the squealer. I don't think they will fit the other way.

Registered
95 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 98 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 99 Legacy Outback EJ25 4EAT "Agent 99", 01 Forester EJ25 4EAT
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They go on the inside pad if they are the squealer. I don't think they will fit the other way.
Okay, thanks. Now, up or down? I'm guessing up because when the rotors are in their usually-forward rotation, that would drag the squealer away from the pad rather than into it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
never thought about up vs down, but i agree on the inside being best.

what kind of pads?

Registered
2001 VDC Wagon - White pearl - 302,000 km
Straight off opposed forces, if you look close, the squealer are down and shown outside as well it appears. But, if only 2 pads have squealers, orientate down.
Down for a one main reason:

Less likely to have the tab come loose and get jammed between the pad and rotor if the tab is on the downstream side of the caliper.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Down for a one main reason:

Less likely to have the tab come loose and get jammed between the pad and rotor if the tab is on the downstream side of the caliper.
Hold it a sec - this just got confusing.

Picture that we're working on the driver's side wheel, so forward travel is to the left and the wheel rotation is counter-clockwise. The caliper (and pad) is sitting between 1:00 and 2:00.

If the squealer is at 2:00 (what I'm calling "down"), the rotation of the disc is carrying it into the pad. If it's installed "up" (at 1:00), the rotor is pulling it away from the pad.

How come you're saying the opposite is true?

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
I did think we were talking about the rear. The picture I linked before was the rear.

Here is what I know. The pic from opposed forces (B11 chassis) for the front and it appears to be down. (picture linked) I just checked both of my cars and both have the squealer down, on the front.

Attachments

Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
wonder if there's a slight tendency for the 'leading' edge to wear more? does that enter into the decision?

also, while I'd argue a floating caliper should have the squealer next to the piston ('inside'), may not matter on a fixed caliper?

thoughts?

(trying to learn)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry - sometimes I can overthink stuff, then comes the analysis paralysis.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Certainly, sir, with my compliments.

It's worth noting that - in my case at least - this rarely occurs on big important stuff, and almost exclusively on little $h!t that usually doesn't matter much one way or the other.

Registered
2001 VDC Wagon - White pearl - 302,000 km
I suppose there's a positive take on living in a 4 seasons environment in southern Ontario.
You get a perfect opportunity to inspect your brakes every time you have to swap snow tires for all seasons and vice versa.
I always do a brake service at these intervals.
No excuses for a squealer tab to engage the rotor.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are you sure old wear indicator didn't corrode and fall off?
Pretty sure. There wasn't any residue e.g. stub of corroded finger, rivet, etc., that
might suggest there was something there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.