Subaru Outback Forums banner

Brake pad/rotor excessive wear ACC

7K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  jrdba 
#1 ·
Hi folks. I use adaptive cruise control (Eyesight) about 97% of my daily total driving, which is half highway and half non highway roads. I'd say 65% of my total driving is bumper to bumper. I've had to change my rear brake pads at around 37,000 miles and now my mechanic said my Front pads/rotor need to be replaced at 38,250 miles. He said I had uneven wear because my front left brake pads have about 1 months life left and front left Rotor has a somewhat deep groove. But he showed me that the front right brake pad had much more life left in it and didn't need replacing. I was told that I'd barely pass inspection due to my front left brake pad, which is barely above state minimum specs. I also have Subaru extended warranty as well if that helps. Hope to hear from folks if the excessive use of Adaptive cruise control is causing the rapid brake pad/rotor wear? Thanks a bunch.

#2 ·
My guess a slider pin is hanging up and the brake has been dragging upon release.

I don't think ACC is adding anything. VDC certainly does. That's why rears are wearing out faster. But anytime there is uneven wear, he caliper isn't retracting properly. Unless you have some traction situation that forces the VDC to pick on that one wheel all the time. But that, you should already know about if that is the case.

Something like ... "I Powerslide my OB into the handicap space in front of my local Starbucks twice a day. I have been doing it for a year..."

#3 ·
You use the ACC in bumper to bumper traffic? Doesn't the manual suggest that you not use it for anything but freeway/highway driving? Did you have any issues getting the pads replaced under warranty?

#4 ·
I actually didn't know we're not supposed to use it in bumper to bumper traffic. The pads were changed after the 36k mile warranty expired. So out of pocket cost. I'm trying to understand if my excessive use of ACC is causing brake pad wear or as Traildogck mentioned maybe VDC is why possibly. I don't want to have to change my pads/rotors every 3 years on the dot :-(

#11 ·
And if all else fails, I'd get on the phone with Corporate. They have been known to use discretion on things from time to time. If they build a case for you, the service department would do what they'd be asked to do. They (service department) are all independently owned, so it's possible they might be concerned that Subaru might not reimburse them for warranty work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.