Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting close to needing new brakes and was wondering what the latest consenus is for the best pads for an 08 OBXT. Of course the dealer recommends stock, but I would like to increase stopping power. Are the Hawk pads the best and what are the tradeoffs? Also, are the some SS brakelines available that that will fit? I'm thinking that might help with the sponge feeling. Thanks!

·
Registered
16,966 Posts
No Hawk HPS?

plenty of people like their hawks, as well as many other brands.

sponginess might be due to air in the system, not often associated with inferior pads. i had some inferior pads for a while on the wife's outback - scary loooong stopping distances but not really spongy. running Centric PosiQuiet Ceramic now, they are great. If you are hard on brakes, you may notice improvement with a master cylinder brace and new or stainless braided hoses.

one of the best 'values' in upgraded pads is StopTech Street Performance. higher MOT than hawk and cheaper. I run these on my WRX. There is more dust than stock however.
check KNS brakes or rockauto. I DO think oem (probably akebono) are good, but most any name-brand ceramic will be similar and likely cheaper.

lube everything with a good brake lube after checking for/removing any rust. I use the permatex Ceramic brake lube.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Not very happy with the dust & noise from the hawk hps on my XT. Mind you the stopping power is grand! I just ordered a set of carbotech 1521s, I'll know in a week or two.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I replaced all mine (all four corners) with Wagner Ceramic pads I got wholesale where I have a wholesale account at the local automotive store.
Federal-Mogul's Wagner Brake Brand Introduces Advanced Line of Ceramic Brake Pads: aftermarket News

I replaced all four rotors at the same time and all parking brake components in the rear rotor-drums as they were rusted beyond recognition. When I finally managed to pull the rear drums off (even after adjusting them completely inwardly from the back side of the wheel), a bunch of rusted parts fell on the floor with the brake shoe friction pads which had fallen off the shoes.:gasp::confused::(:17:

Both sides needed the little triangular piece at the top and the left and right strut metals that connect the shoes at around midsection.

·
Premium Member
11,881 Posts
I replaced all mine (all four corners) with Wagner Ceramic pads I got wholesale where I have a wholesale account at the local automotive store.
Federal-Mogul's Wagner Brake Brand Introduces Advanced Line of Ceramic Brake Pads: aftermarket News

I replaced all four rotors at the same time and all parking brake components in the rear rotor-drums as they were rusted beyond recognition. When I finally managed to pull the rear drums off (even after adjusting them completely inwardly from the back side of the wheel), a bunch of rusted parts fell on the floor with the brake shoe friction pads which had fallen off the shoes.:gasp::confused::(:17:

Both sides needed the little triangular piece at the top and the left and right strut metals that connect the shoes at around midsection.

I refer to them as thermo noise. Majority of vehicles I used them on in the past sounded like bus when stopping after the first 500 miles or so. The heat generated by the brakes crystallize the backing and allow the piston to dig in on the interior and caliper on the exterior pads allowing for vibration and noise.

To my knowledge Wagner hasn't corrected the padding.

Whatever you use, be sure it has he metal shims on the pads and replace he bracket hardware. High end pad sets come with the hardware in most cases.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
For the record, I installed the Thermoquiet wagners on all 4 corners. I did not install the metal shims on the back per the instructions. I did lube the back with brake grease. They are as quiet as any brakepad I've ever owned. As for stopping power, seems the same as OEM, which is pretty lousy.

Tom

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not very happy with the dust & noise from the hawk hps on my XT. Mind you the stopping power is grand! I just ordered a set of carbotech 1521s, I'll know in a week or two.
I would really be interested in what you think about the Carbotech 1521 pads. Seems like they might be better than the Hawk HPS which is something that I was considering. I don't know about ceramic. I'm not looking to deal with temperature issues and I will need to probably tow a UHaul accross country this coming spring. I'm planning on staying with the stock rotors for now.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
I would really be interested in what you think about the Carbotech 1521 pads. Seems like they might be better than the Hawk HPS which is something that I was considering. I don't know about ceramic. I'm not looking to deal with temperature issues and I will need to probably tow a UHaul accross country this coming spring. I'm planning on staying with the stock rotors for now.
Looks like we'll both have to wait longer. The shop I ordered them from seems to have gone out of business without shipping my order, so now I need to find another supplier.

Suggestions welcome...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like we'll both have to wait longer. The shop I ordered them from seems to have gone out of business without shipping my order, so now I need to find another supplier.

Suggestions welcome...
That's a bummer! I hope they didn't get your $$$ before they closed!

What about KNS? I think they sell them and seem to be recommended by others. I'm also considering the Hawk HPS/Premium Centric rotor package they have. Hey, didn't I say I wanted to stick with stock rotors? :confused:

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
UPDATE:

They didn't go out of business. The dealer I ordered from just has a lousy idea of customer communication. Long story short, santa brought me a set of carbo 1521 pads today. I might wait for warmer weather before I install but it won't be long now.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That's a bummer! I hope they didn't get your $$$ before they closed!

What about KNS? I think they sell them and seem to be recommended by others. I'm also considering the Hawk HPS/Premium Centric rotor package they have. Hey, didn't I say I wanted to stick with stock rotors? :confused:
I hope you have a heated garage (or a friend who does).

I use stock on the rear and high performance ceramic on the front. do yourself a solid and install speed bleeders while your at it and bleeding will be so much easier in the future.

I think ss brake lines is a great upgrade and planning on doing it next year.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE:

They didn't go out of business. The dealer I ordered from just has a lousy idea of customer communication. Long story short, santa brought me a set of carbo 1521 pads today. I might wait for warmer weather before I install but it won't be long now.
That's great news! I'll look forward to your review.

Say, does anybody know who makes the factory pads for an 08 OBXT? And what material they are? Are they ceramic?

·
Registered
16,966 Posts
That's great news! I'll look forward to your review.

Say, does anybody know who makes the factory pads for an 08 OBXT? And what material they are? Are they ceramic?
on my 06 WRX they were marked Akebono. not sure what the compound was.

I never looked on the original pads on our 03 Outback.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
I just installed the Carbotech 1521s since the weather was well warmer than usual for January.

Well I bedded in the pads and had a short drive. I still get a squeal but only with a LOT of pedal pressure, which is the opposite of what the Hawk HPs did.

The initial bite seems a lot stronger, and the overall feel is a lot more linear. Didn't seem to have quite as much stop when I got them hot and pushed hard though.

I think I introduced some air into the system when I relaxed the caliper pistons because the pedal got a bit mushier. I'll re-bleed and try again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I put Akebono ceramics on my '09 3.0R. Though I was more interested in quiet and cleanliness over stopping power. The old ones were marked Akebono in front and I believe NPN in the rear. I've been very happy so far.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
10 Participants
cardoc
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing