Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Legacy Outback
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 legacy outback with ABS and I would notice while driving that the play in the brake pedal would decrease but while driving along the other day the brake pedal lost all play and the brakes started to be applied without me even pressing the brake pedal. It was really hard to even depress the pedal at all and to even drive I had to give it a lot of gas because the brakes weren't letting go. After a while of driving a little bit then stopping and repeating the process the play for the brake pedal returned and I could drive back home as normal. This happens almost every time I drive now and I know it is at least both front brakes that are seizing up. I'm not sure what could be causing the problem and I can really only drive to work and school before the brakes lock up. I have flushed out and bled new brake fluid through all of the lines and that didn't help at all. I am thinking about taking a brake caliper off and opening it to see if there is a bunch of crud built up but I don't think there will be. Also when I start the car with my foot on the brake pedal sometimes the pedal won't lower a bit from the brake booster. Any help or ideas would be awesome. Thanks.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,444 Posts
Possibilities:

1. You've got water in your brake lines. Heat from normal braking warms it up. Eventually it gets to the boiling point, flashes into steam and pressurizes the whole system, locking the brakes. Stopping to let it cool will let you proceed, but as you've found it is temporary relief.

Get the brake lines flushed and bled with new fluid and you'll be fine.

2. Stuck slider pins. Get the calipers apart and make sure the slide pins are free and lightly lubed

3. Vac booster trouble- leak or broken check valve maybe?

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,132 Posts
^^^^

today, rasterman is succinct and on point with his advice!

·
Registered
98 Legacy Outback
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the awesome advice rasterman. I will flush the brake lines more and I'll check those slider pins, anything particular I should use to lube them with? I don't know all that much about brake systems.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,132 Posts
you can usually get some packets of decent grease for free or a few bucks at the parts place.

I use this (but I may die before I use it all);

1 - 5 of 5 Posts