Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2008 Outback 2.5i - Front breaks were done (new pads and turned rotors) less than 3k miles ago, rear brakes were at 80%

Last night we were heading to dinner driving down a hill doing about 30mph when a dog darted out into the road. I stomped hard on the breaks and fortunately didn't hit the dog. As I continued down the hill when I could hear a grinding noise coming from the front when applying the brakes. As we go onto level streets the noise lessened and was non existent when we were driving home after dinner. No noises today either.

Just wondering if this is something to worry about and if I should take the car in to get it checked out or is there something I could check on my own?

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Grinding isn't always an indication of a problem. Any time you get grit be it brake dust or well grit between the pad and the disc your going to hear some terrible sounding sounds. Sounds like the noise went away from your note. The hard braking session may have loosened up some surface material on the disc and thats what you were hearing. After a bit it gets scrubbed off and the noise goes away etc. Thats my best guess.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,947 Posts
If the rotors are rusty on the edge when they get hot they can grow just enough for the rust on the edge to touch the caliper bracket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts