Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
I have found the OEM is fine IF you can find them at a competitive price. I have had mixed results with the house brand parts at Advance and Auto Zone, depending on the vehicle.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Last month, I installed four aftermarket rotors and all new aftermarket rebuilt-calipers and all new Ceramic Pads. I also completely replaced the parking brake hardware and shoes on the rear wheels which were original. The car had 120K miles on it when I did this. The parking brake hardware fell out when I finally got the rear rotors off, in a cloud of brown rust. I don't think anyone has looked at my rear parking brake hardware since the car left the factory! I carefully lubed things up as necessary and installed all the new components. I did have to buy a new Left and a new Right Strut (stamped-out metal bar that connects the shoes at about midsection). By accident, I tossed everything as everything was in such poor condition and the trash truck was just coming along when I had the parking brakes all removed! There is also a small Triangular-shaped support that goes onto the top stud to hold the shoes down tight to the inner assembly, those got tossed as well. It is just as well as everything had about 1/8" rust on it!

Had I gotten OEM everything, I bet the parts would have been over $1,000. As it was, at wholesale, I spent about $480. I am completely satisfied with what I got, the car is now running better than it EVER HAS, and, after Bedding-In the new Brakes, and flushing the entire brake fluid system with Castrol DOT 4 Synthetic Brake Fluid, the pedal has never been so firm as it is now! You also don't need to press the pedal as far or as hard as before I did all this!

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
OEM is really quite good. There are aftermarket parts that , to me, seem as good for less money. online dealers like subarugenuineparts.com or fred beans will be cheaper than the dealer for OEM.

Really like the Centric PosiQuiet Ceramic on my wife's Outback right now. They seem as good, maybe slightly better, than stock. Got them from RockAuto or maybe KNS Brakes. The Wagner pads they replaced (early) were horrible.

For a more 'sporty' pad - get StopTech Street Performance, they dust more than stock - but they have been brilliant on my WRX. Definitely getting them again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
1 Lucky Texan
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing