Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm brand new to these forums and just started doing my own car maintenance this year on my 2014 Subaru Outback 2.5. It has about 62k miles, mainly highway driving, to and from work.

A few weeks ago I started hearing a high pitched squeal from the front brakes but only when applying brakes in reverse. There's no noise when applying brakes moving forward. It shouldn't be a wear indicator on the pads because the pads have about 1/4 inch thickness left. I pulled the wheel off and measured the thickness. There is a fair amount of rust all around the caliper and back of brake pads.

1. What could be causing this high pitched sound when only going in reverse?

2. I feel like 62k on front brakes is the longest I've ever gone on brake pads and there's still 1/4 inch left. Is it recommended to change the brake pads regardless of thickness if a certain amount of time has past?

3. Is it normal for rear pads to wear out quicker than the front pads? I replaced the rear pads at about 55k but front pads seem to have a lot more life left.

Thank you for your responses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These questions are either too novice or no one knows the answers. Just in case others have the same questions, here's what I found from another more responsive forum:

1. It could be rust and/or something stuck in between caliper and brake pads.
2. No, unless your pads are not wearing evenly, there's no need to replace them.
3. No definitive answer for this but the rear pad thickness is thinner than front pads and i've read that it's common for the rears to wear out faster in the new model Subarus.

Hope that help.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,370 Posts
These questions are either too novice or no one knows the answers. Just in case others have the same questions, here's what I found from another more responsive forum:

1. It could be rust and/or something stuck in between caliper and brake pads.
2. No, unless your pads are not wearing evenly, there's no need to replace them.
3. No definitive answer for this but the rear pad thickness is thinner than front pads and i've read that it's common for the rears to wear out faster in the new model Subarus.

Hope that help.
Or sometimes a thread gets buried quickly, people are not around, etc.

Squeal could be rust. Mine occasionally squeal after driving on wet roads and parking all day outside. Try a series of hard stops (30-40 mph then lay on the brake) to clean the rotor and pad surfaces and see it the noise persists.

You replace pads when they are at 1.5 mm thickness or earlier. If they are unevenly wearing you have a stuck caliper pin. It needs to be addressed or the issue will come back.

On that note, do you remove the caliper pins, clean them, and put new sil-glyde lube on them so they slide? This will prevent uneven wear. This should be done yearly part of brake maintenance.

Rear pads are thinner than the front and the car uses the rear brakes a lot, so yes they wear faster. Even faster than they used to with all of the controls put in, like vdc in winter for better handling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts