Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
brakes did not work today and i skidded an nearly crashed on my subaru wrx type ra. any ideas. does any one loose power in this cold weather lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
subaru wrx type ra. lately since the snow my brakes have become really stiff with my car stoping very sudden after taking foot off acceleration. also brakes did not work and there was no air pressure when braking an nealry caused me to crash by skidding. any ideas what this is. also front rear brake dis/pads are really hot after driven

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
very weird combination of symptoms. the stiff pedal is beyond me but if it's cold related i'd think you have a valve or hose for the brake booster getting frozen/stuck from cold/ice. remove, clean out, spray down with WD40 i think will repel the moisture, but i've only heard it and haven't had to do it yet.

heat....usually means pads are dragging - often caused by ungreased or rusty slider pins...particularly in the rust belt.

really bad wheel bearings can generate heat too.

with enough dragging or heat - your brake fluid could boil and loose brake pressure.

also front rear brake dis/pads are really hot after driven
which brakes are hot...you said "front rear"....meaning all 4- that doesn't make sense.

hoses can collapse too, causing the calipers to grab but not retract - making for constant braking/heat - but Subaru's aren't know for that, i've never seen it on a Subaru yet.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Sounds like a master cylinder failure on the first stage. Second stage in the master cylinder makes the pedal travel farther and feel hard. You can still get enough brake pressure if you mash on it hard enough. No air in the brakes sorry at least proper brakes that is.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
I merged your threads. Please do not create multiple threads on the same topic in different forums, any further ones will be deleted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts