Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just purchased a 2013 3.5R Limited a few days ago.

Noticed that braking is a little bit plushy compared to my previous WRX, but I assume that's natural for a larger crossover type vehicle. My main concern is, when I brake from a typical speed such as 30mph for instance, I could feel the brake pad jitter like the antilock has engaged ever so slightly. This is on normal dry pavement. This does not happen all the time while braking from a straight line, but I always feel it when braking while changing lane, or turning slowly into a driveway for example. Basically whenever the wheel is not steered straight.

Is this normal? Thoughts?

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
My experience is that the OB has a lot of brake pedal travel compared to virtually all other cars and trucks I have owned. My Super Duty had minimal brake travel and the modulation was good. The OB seems to have similar modulation but the travel is 3 or 4 times the distance. It stops fine and I don't think there is any air in the system. Thus I attribute it to the nature of the beast. I can't answer the jitter question because I have no idea if your pads are bedded in yet. Usually new pads and new rotors grip well since there is a great deal or friction...

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R SAP
202 Posts
I've not experienced any jitter on my '13 3.6. As the previous poster said, you may want to go out and bed the brake pads. While there are specific procedures for this with regard to high performance aftermarket pads, I don't think you need to be to exacting.

You can google "brake pad bedding" if you want, but basically the idea is to do several aggressive, but not panic, stops in a row, to get the temps up nice and hot, but none of them should come to a full stop. Then drive around a while and let things cool off.

You may want to wait until the factory recommended break-in period is over, however.

FWIW I never went through a bedding procedure on my car and yet feel that the braking is quite powerful - much better than my '01 OB - albeit with a soft pedal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah maybe the brakes just need to break in, or be bedded. I'm just perplexed that I only feel the brake jitter when applied while the wheels are steered, not straight. Very odd. Maybe I'll see what the dealer got to say about it.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
Yeah maybe the brakes just need to break in, or be bedded. I'm just perplexed that I only feel the brake jitter when applied while the wheels are steered, not straight. Very odd. Maybe I'll see what the dealer got to say about it.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
when they tell you "they all do that" point to one on the lot and ask for the keys to compare.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
VDC system having a little hissy and tickling the brakes in response? Normally I'd suspect control arm bushings but that would be really unusual for such a new car. Knowing that the VDC system can individually modulate and pulse all four wheel brakes makes me think the problem is related to that system.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i was wondering the same too, as my '13 OB is my first subie. the brakes do grab, but pedal is very mushy. cant wait for the pads to wear out, so i can put better ones in

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I brought the OB to the dealer and three mechanics could not confirm the issue, doh! I know it's not in my head, will drive it some more and see. Hope it's not the VDC, definitely don't want to mess with that.

And I have to step down the brake with some effort to stop with any sense of authority. Normal? Hope so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts