Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found one thread on 5 gen but they have more advanced systems i think so , i just was curious like you go about 90km/h and you see sign for 70 so you brake , but is it good way to brake with cruise control. like i lover my speed until it reaches 70, and then i raise speed again with cruise to 90 . is that good way , like i dont use brakes so thats good no ? and our gen cruise control brakes with engine only as i feel it . correct ? because if you go down hill you cant lower speed with cruise control anymore. so just on straight road or uphill.
i use it many times as i feel comfy to just raise or lower speed a little on open roads where not much other cars and i just need to cruise still maintain speed . Tried lower speed from 90 to 60 km/h it works too. just takes longer time maybe but it can be done and no need to use brakes .

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Decreasing the speed with the cruise control isn't bad for the car, but you need to be aware of your surroundings. Might there be someone behind you who wasn't planning the same reaction to a regulatory speed change along the route? The cruise control adjustment does not trigger the stop lights on the back of the car to warn other drivers of your speed change. If you want to be sure, you need to step on the pedal then re-set the cruise afterward.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aha thats very good point as im not making any signal of lowering speed. but then i wouldnt use it if its lot cars on road anyways. and cruise control lowers speed so slow that its same as if i would release gas pedal. some people using that too as engine braking.

and then other thing i remembered. cruise control kinda remembers last giving speed limit and then even if you lower speed after some time it comes back to speed that was set before. just im not sure how i trigger it as when i use brake it resets everything , so how it could be done that it comes back after time to previous speed . it was doing for me it couple times but im not sure how i set it to do. anyone knows that ?

and how much is one press to lower speed or raise with cruise control is it like 5km/h for one press , it seems like its about 5km/h for me. is that correct ?

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
If you weren't driving with the cruise control you'd just ease up on the pedal, so doing that but with the cruise isn't outside what other drivers would expect to see.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
drove on cruise at 50 area. ( yes our citys are 50 areas) then went to 70 then to 90 , back to 70 , 90 , 50 again. all could be done with cruise. shame that they not made it work for offroad slow speeds as newer land cruisers have. i think lowest speed that cruise maintains is about 50km/h maybe to 40 but not lower.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
drove on cruise at 50 area. ( yes our citys are 50 areas) then went to 70 then to 90 , back to 70 , 90 , 50 again. all could be done with cruise. shame that they not made it work for offroad slow speeds as newer land cruisers have. i think lowest speed that cruise maintains is about 50km/h maybe to 40 but not lower.
I remember there were some Nissan pathfinders with "hill decent control" back around 2000.

a nice feature for something as cheap as that. wish subaru did it too.
I would have liked to try it on steep paved mountain roads covered in slippery snow.
vs. just starting out from a stop and going down in 2nd gear on a 4EAT.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes those hill descents can go very wrong very fast if you do it wrong. manuals and diesel engines have here advantages without any system they kinda keeping car pretty much ok. subarus get that much later just on newer models.
4eat on 2nd gear still can gain speed on steeper descent, i was still using some braking very carefully.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
yes those hill descents can go very wrong very fast if you do it wrong. manuals and diesel engines have here advantages without any system they kinda keeping car pretty much ok. subarus get that much later just on newer models.
4eat on 2nd gear still can gain speed on steeper descent, i was still using some braking very carefully.
I was not typing of engine jake (jacobs) brakes on big diesels, or downshifting while going too fast in a manual. (such to make the thing fishtail, land in the ditch, roll over when on ice at speed).

I was typing more like coming to a stop on top of a hill covered in snow / sand. starting to roll down it and hitting a button at 15mph, and then the abs / vdc system limit the speed to just 15mph. (braking the wheels independently to keep the vehicle where it is pointed.

like found on range rovers, toyota land cruisers,

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,112 Posts
Lowering speed with the cruise control is no different than lifting your foot off the gas. At higher speeds and automatic transmissions, the slowing is more from aerodynamic and road resistance than engine braking. There is not much engine braking with the transmission is high gear. Some cars will unlock the torque converter clutch to further improve coasting and fuel economy (it doesn't seem like the OB does this, but I could be wrong).

I try to coast as much as practical. I don't do it if it might hold up traffic or cause a line of cars behind me to slow. But the less energy I waste through braking, the more efficient my driving. Pretty nerdy eh?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes wasting speed with brakes is most common thing here to do as i watch. i see in front red signal so i degrading speed slowly from far away. not like others who driving fast to red then hard brake and then hard on gass pedal to go again, most time im not even stopping there just cruising , not wasting brake pads and petrol.

about hill i just mean that doing it manually diesel engine with manual is better as you can descent on gear with engine braking , not so much with petrol engine. and 4eat is not best for that , or maybe i duno how to use it then. but i tried 2nd gear from stop and going downhill. you still need to brake because it wont do engine braking .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts