Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now had my 2013 2.5i for 10 days and over 600 miles and love the car. Opened the hood today to just take a look around and noticed that the finish on the engine looks like it has spots all over it. I would not call it flaking but if I rub it, my fingers get dirty with a white film. I noticed that there was a pile of these "flakes" in one of the flat spots on the engine, enough where you could actually vacuum it. Anyone else notice this? It almost looks like salt residue but it has not snowed since I got the car and its all over the engine.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
611 Posts
Maybe leftover cosmoline that burnt off? Or some other engine "dressing" that was over applied.

Normally, it looks light brown/tan, but what you're describing may be leftover casting slag?

Deanski

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe leftover cosmoline that burnt off? Or some other engine "dressing" that was over applied.

Normally, it looks light brown/tan, but what you're describing may be leftover casting slag?

Deanski

It's white, definitely think it has to do with the the casting of the engine, not some sort of dressing they put on it. Just curious as I have never seen an engine like this. I am not to concerned but will bring it up when it goes in for it's first oil change. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
611 Posts
It's white, definitely think it has to do with the the casting of the engine, not some sort of dressing they put on it. Just curious as I have never seen an engine like this. I am not to concerned but will bring it up when it goes in for it's first oil change. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.
Yes please do, thousand eyes can assist in determining what it is:29:

Deanski

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium and 2014 2.5i 6-spd
67 Posts
Aluminum oxide? My VW engines would build up an aluminum oxide passivating layer after heavy cleaning/brushing. The oxide would build up leaving a white layer that could be brushed off with the formerly bright aluminum finish of the engine turning to the gray color of the passivated aluminium. My $.02 worth.

Also, are you located near either coast? Ocean breezes/salt air will accelerate production of aluminum oxides.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts