Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I washed my new OB yesterday and noticed a black hair stuck in the clear coat in the middle of the hood. The car is 2 weeks old and bright red. The hair can be seen from 15 feet away if you know where you are looking.

It is very annoying. It is a big thick black hair.

Am I being overly crazy here or should I make them fix it? I contacted the dealer and they said it was strange and they had checked the paint.

Obviously they didn't check it in the light.

·
Registered
12,304 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
You might want to scrutinize the paint job to see if the car could have possibly been repainted for some reason, like some kind of damage to the hood.

I have purchased a brand-new car which, after I had it, I realized the rear end had been repainted before I bought it. Even the pin-striping on the back end did not match that of the rest of the car.

I surmised mine had probably fallen off the steep truck ramps (maybe in freezing rain), or slid down them so fast, the car's rear got damaged, turning the rear fenders into accordions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I washed my new OB yesterday and noticed a black hair stuck in the clear coat in the middle of the hood. The car is 2 weeks old and bright red. The hair can be seen from 15 feet away if you know where you are looking.

It is very annoying. It is a big thick black hair.

Am I being overly crazy here or should I make them fix it? I contacted the dealer and they said it was strange and they had checked the paint.

Obviously they didn't check it in the light.
Wow, my experience isn't alone (different, but still shocking).

yeah, there's no way they can get away with NOT fixing that. Hairs in the clear coat were done at the factory (unless as mentioned, it had an 'incident' and was re-painted afterwards).

Just don't look when they do it. They sanded the clear coat down to the paint to remove a scratch! (Not Subie). 1 week old! :(

edit to add: And make sure they clear coat the ENTIRE hood afterwards, and hardened in a proper body shop (otherwise you have to wait 6 months for it to harden before waxing it). They'll have to remove the hood (likely)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, they are going to repaint my hood, the hair is in the paint. I am pissed off. You buy a brand new car and end up with a car that's basically been in an accident...and had the hood repainted. The paint isn't going to match like it did. I don't know if this hair came from the manufacturer, or if it was repainted at the dealership. I was told that it would cost me 4K to swap my brand new OB with another new OB.

Either way, I am done with Subaru. If it is unreasonable to expect a new car to be pubic hair free, I am unreasonable. Private sale.....coming up.

·
Registered
514 Posts
How many days after you took possession of the car before you alerted them of the hair in the paint? :smoke:

If it was within a certain time, you may be able to cancel the entire 'deal' - after finding such a problem! I believe laws pertaining to your refusing to keep that vehicle AND Lemon-Law laws are based on state laws as opposed to federal laws, someone may correct me on this!

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
In my opinion, you should let it go! Sooner or later you will get that first scratch (those hurt most) but, after 2 or 3 years, the car will get to look rugged, as it should.
I my experience, anytime anybody re-paints any portion of the car it is never the same. Don't forget on the assembly line, the body (paint) is "baked" in the largre oven, after it's painted while the body shop only applies paint and clear coat. I have seen it done in Sweden (Saab in Trollhattan) and Germany (BMW) assembly lines...I would imagine Subaru "bakes" painted bodies as well...

·
Registered
128 Posts
I know your mad and want it fixed, I would want it fixed too. It is sort of goofy though. Seems to me the dealer should take care of it. If there is a same color car to bad they can't just swap the hood and take care of the hair on their own time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
15 days from when I picked the car up to when I told them about the issue. The difference between getting a scratch and what I have...is that I paid new car price for a car that came with a "scratch". If they had offered me the car...they would have had to have given it to me for $2000 less for me to accept the hood problem.

They won't swap the hoods...I asked.

What kind of QA does Subaru have? I washed the hood 1 time and noticed it.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
15 days from when I picked the car up to when I told them about the issue. The difference between getting a scratch and what I have...is that I paid new car price for a car that came with a "scratch". If they had offered me the car...they would have had to have given it to me for $2000 less for me to accept the hood problem.

They won't swap the hoods...I asked.

What kind of QA does Subaru have? I washed the hood 1 time and noticed it.

please post some pictures of this thing.

Have u considered contacting SOA? They might work something out with a swapped hood after a regional Rep gets involved. I can kinda understand the dealership balking at that. Plus, they need to know their QA has failed miserably.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Swapping hoods will "break" and chip the paint on the mounting bolts of both vehicles. They won't repaint them. Then you have two cars with an issue. After the dealer fixes the problem with paint and CC cured have the full hood clearbra you made them pay for installed. The hood will be protected and any new paint tape lines on the edges of the hood will be covered by the "wrap" over of the bra. No future road chips or sun/weather damage to the hood and best of all no one will know. The only place it won't be as good as new is in your mind.;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Why don't you ask them to get a painted item from the factory? It is very unlikely they will be able to fulfill your request, therefore you will be able to claim a compensation for painting the element of your car as you will suffer substantial loss of the value - as you will not be able to sell this car saying that it has ORIGINAL paint work and all potential buyers will suspect that car was damaged! That's what I would try to do in Europe, but not talking to dealer who sold it to me, but directly to Subaru HQ.

or

you can imagine that this hair is a hair of a beautiful, long legged chick with big......blue eyes ......I am sure you know the rest :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They said the manufacturer would not ship painted parts and that they haven't for 9 years. They contacted the Subaru of America and said they were told to repaint the hood.
Any parts came unpainted and were painted at the dealership. I will look to see if I have pictures, but it has been repainted. The way this was handled, the arguing with the dealership. The fact that I was told I was over reacting and that the car was still structurally sound left a bad taste in my mouth. The repair stopped me from filing a small claims lawsuit....it will not get back my business. I did have a loaner Subaru for a week...I would bet you can all imagine how I drove it. IMO this isn't a very good company to do business with, I will stick with Honda. This car was a gift to my significant other for completing PA school and getting a job. It was her first new car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
When you see what the paint "booths" look like in a factory (it is probably too big to really be called a booth at Subaru though) it makes it seem highly likely your hood got damaged and repainted... Even if someone was in the room they would be in scrubs just like at a hospital with something covering their head to avoid something like this and the room is likely ventilated in a way to keep any stray dust or hair from getting onto parts.

But any shop that is good can fix that and make it look perfect... :29: No way you should be paying for any of it though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Beninma, I agree but they get very upset when you ask this question. Tibug, both myself and my gal both laugh about it. Especially my descriptions of what kind of hair it is. I should have bought that ugly thing they call a Venza. The 28K i spent obviously wasn't enough. Hopefully they didn't have a quality lapse on my engine also. I can't help but get scared that my engine might have some extra parts also.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Beninma, I agree but they get very upset when you ask this question. Tibug, both myself and my gal both laugh about it. Especially my descriptions of what kind of hair it is. I should have bought that ugly thing they call a Venza. The 28K i spent obviously wasn't enough. Hopefully they didn't have a quality lapse on my engine also. I can't help but get scared that my engine might have some extra parts also.
What's a few bottle tops and can tabs?:confused::17:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I can't help but get scared that my engine might have some extra parts also.
Don't worry, gold wedding rings left in the cylinders wouldn't harm anything. Gold is much softer than the pistons and the cylinder head so it would just get smooshed, then melted. Diamond inserts would be another story, but I don't think you have to worry about them; no one putting together Subarus makes enough money to afford such luxury.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
12 Participants
KentuckyOutback
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing