Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium (w/ E.S.)
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 2018 OB Premium with E.S (Crystal White) last night. This is my first Subaru and first new car. Had an appointment yesterday after work, but ended having to wait 1 hr to finally sit down with the "finance person" so I can just say no to all the extras --- no surprise here; I just wanted a simple transaction. Overall, really like it. No regrets with getting the 2.5!

But upon getting home I noticed several yellow spots on the driver side (rear door) and front of the hood. They almost looked like bird poop, but it definitely wasn't. It looked like dried car wax. After wiping it off, most left little yellow stain (one or two wiped off completely). I think I could've lived with since with kids it was a matter of time it would get beat up.

But then I looked on the top off the roof and noticed a big smudge or stain of some sort. It wouldn't wipe off with a wet cloth. Now I started getting annoyed. I know it was on me to get up and take a look. But all of the things they could've forgot, didn't expect this. I emailed the sales agent this morning and CC'd the sales manager. It's radio silence for now.

link:imgur.com/a/CeKj9

I guess I just needed to vent :mad:

·
Registered
2016 3.6 w/ Eyesight
220 Posts
Just picked up a 2018 OB Premium with E.S (Crystal White) last night. This is my first Subaru and first new car. Had an appointment yesterday after work, but ended having to wait 1 hr to finally sit down with the "finance person" so I can just say no to all the extras --- no surprise here; I just wanted a simple transaction. Overall, really like it. No regrets with getting the 2.5!

But upon getting home I noticed several yellow spots on the driver side (rear door) and front of the hood. They almost looked like bird poop, but it definitely wasn't. It looked like dried car wax. After wiping it off, most left little yellow stain (one or two wiped off completely). I think I could've lived with since with kids it was a matter of time it would get beat up.

But then I looked on the top off the roof and noticed a big smudge or stain of some sort. It wouldn't wipe off with a wet cloth. Now I started getting annoyed. I know it was on me to get up and take a look. But all of the things they could've forgot, didn't expect this. I emailed the sales agent this morning and CC'd the sales manager. It's radio silence for now.

link:imgur.com/a/CeKj9

I guess I just needed to vent :mad:
I'd be pretty sure you can very easily and quickly remove the paint spots with something like Meguiar's Cleaner Wax or, better, Optimum GPS. Just wash off the paint first so that it is perfectly clean and you are not rubbing grit into it. I think you're describing pollen stains.

·
Premium Member
2016 Ice Silver Outback 2.5i Limited with moonroof, nav, keyless entry and remote start
23 Posts
definitely bring it back and show them. The service department (or body shop if they have one) will have the right polish/compound to remove it.

The longer you wait, the worse it can become.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be pretty sure you can very easily and quickly remove the paint spots with something like Meguiar's Cleaner Wax or, better, Optimum GPS. Just wash off the paint first so that it is perfectly clean and you are not rubbing grit into it. I think you're describing pollen stains.
Thanks! I may just go at it myself seeing as the dealer is just slow. I think you may be right about the pollen (after doing a quick Google). It was just weird how random it was.

Next question --- how to clean the roof safely? I've read before the new paint might still be curing

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,243 Posts
The high probability is bee droppings. Before you take it back so they can clean it off(easy) check around where you park an verify you are not in their flight path or you will be fighting this issue time again.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited w/ES, Wilderness Green
565 Posts
I've noticed on the forum that Subaru dealers tend to be half-a-tick sloppier than dealers for many other makes. This was true of the dealer that sold us both of our Subarus. My car was delivered without them bothering to clean the haze off the interior windows and the front license plate frame holes were drilled slightly crooked.

Not horrid stuff, but just not as good as it could be.

I suspect the problem is that they are not high-end dealers combined with the fact that Subaru cars tend to sell themselves -- look at the sales records that Subaru has set year after year. It may be that's taken some of the pressure off Subaru dealers to work as hard on the service angle as dealers for other makes.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,537 Posts
I've noticed on the forum that Subaru dealers tend to be half-a-tick sloppier than dealers for many other makes.

I suspect the problem is that they are not high-end dealers ...
One might just as reasonably speculate that your experience with Subaru reflects a slow decline in service quality and diligence from dealers of all makes, with the possible exception of luxury brands, where part of the premium price you're paying is for a higher level of service.

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
4,986 Posts
First off, welcome to the Subaru family!
Now, a lesson in dealing with dealers. Yes, they have an email address. No, NEVER use it!!!
You need to understand the way a dealer works. The sales department is busy selling cars, they're done with you, so you're on the very bottom of the totem pole to them.
The service center is extremely busy during the day, so email is the absolute worst tool in trying to get hold of them. The best would be to stop in, show them, and make an appointment.
The second best is to call them. While they will eventually answer your email, it might be later in the day, or when they have time to check, which if they're busy could be hours, if not days...
You have every right to get service, and they want to serve you, but... You are one of many owners, you need to speak up, then wait your turn.

As for cleaning the roof, or any other panel of the car? Meguiar's Cleaner Wax is the best. It cleans and conditions, without doing any damage to the new paint.

Reactions: Doug Just Doug

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6
75 Posts
Yes, totally appropriate. First time buyer, the experience should be something worth celebrating. The responsibility shouldn't be on the owner. It doesn't take luxury vehicles price tags for simple human checks. The worst car buying/service experiences for me have been with Subaru dealerships. They know they have a product with brand loyalty.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited, Twilight Blue
57 Posts
I wouldn't recommend trying to fix it yourself. Go the service manager ASAP. Let them go to the sales manager if it comes to that, but it is in their domain now. Time is important on paint issues, because every day from the purchase date reduces Subaru's or the dealer's apparent culpability.

Also, you will be receiving several survey invitations by mail/email from the dealership and Subaru of America. I think they actually take them seriously (the owner of this site, or Carl Abrams, or others on here can comment on if I'm right on this). If you get resistance let them know you haven't filled the surveys out yet. Subaru takes customer satisfaction seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,809 Posts
Next question --- how to clean the roof safely? I've read before the new paint might still be curing
That's definitely a myth, the factory paint job will be fully cured at delivery. It's aftermarket paint jobs (which typically use a somewhat different paint system) that may need time to completely cure.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So latest update is that my sales person replied saying that be happy to take it in and detail it next week and give me a loaner in the mean time. I also got an automated email from the service manager about my recent service (PDI?) and asking for 10/10 ratings. I just replied back with a photo of the roof and asking that it be corrected.

I must of got a lemon for a sales person......takes her 1 day to reply to any email. No one else bothered to reply. As I told them in the email......I'm not impressed.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i PZEV Tungsten Outback Limited W/Moonroof, Accessory Value Package A.
114 Posts
Personally I would take some cleaner wax to it and see if that takes care of it. That way I know that it was taken care of without making a new problem. If they take a buffer to it well then who knows what can happen. Just my experience with dealers they can take a sledge hammer to a problem that may only need ball peen hammer. I have explained in some of my previous posts experiences that I hope will deter people from making a problem become a ********.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'18 Accord EX-L 2.0t; Wife's car: '16 3.6r Ltd. w/ Eyesight
855 Posts
I spent a decent amount of time when my wife took delivery of her CW OB. All the lug nuts were covered in goo and there was a large dark spot on the leather. I politely pointed those things out and the salesman took care of everything... except the 40psi of air in the tires, which I took care of when we got home. The salesman had to drill the holes for the front license plate. The finance guy took less than 5 minutes since we paid cash and didn't want the warranty (for $2k!). Overall, we were happy with the sales experience. It was super easy with the VIP program (2% below invoice). We rated our guy 10s. When I brought it in for the first oil change, the salesman was no longer with the dealer.

You might want to consider bringing your car to a professional detailing place for a ceramic coating. They'll wash and detail your whole car and the coating lasts 2-10 years, depending on what they use.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6l Touring
97 Posts
One thing my sales rep dreaded was the Subaru survey that gets sent to every owner a few weeks after the car is purchased. The survey has some sort of impact on the sales rep and maybe commission paid? I dinged the dealership, and paying $$$ for delivery charges but still finding several minor problems. A few days later my salesman called me almost in tears. Does anyone know first hand how the surveys impact the sales person or the dealership?

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,537 Posts
A few days later my salesman called me almost in tears. Does anyone know first hand how the surveys impact the sales person or the dealership?
It's pass/fail as far as SOA is concerned, and anything below about 93-94% is a fail ... which means that even all 9s (on a scale of 10) would be a failing grade. Speaking as a former business owner myself, it's a terrible way to design a customer-satisfaction survey ... but SOA didn't ask me about that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts