Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just wondering if any 5th gen owners have gone through what I'm currently experiencing with my Outback:

I bought a new 2019 2.5 Premium about three weeks ago, beginning of September - now at 1k miles I have a pretty noticeable wheel alignment issue where my car is drifting to the left when the steering wheel is dead center. Wondering if a wheel alignment is covered under warranty? The 1k miles have been on well paved roads and highways with no potholes or bumpy areas. I would understand paying out of pocket for a wheel alignment at the normal maintenance schedule, but considering this is a brand new car with only 1k miles, I'm hoping Subaru will cover it. Unfortunately I really can't go to the dealer I bought it from since I purchased out of state and they are three hours away - would rather go to a local dealership/authorized Subaru service center. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5i Premium
156 Posts
I'm not too surprised that there's an alignment issue from the factory. It happened with my '08. Take it to a local dealer and see what they say. If they won't cover it I would escalate to Mother Subaru, especially if it's pulling to the side and/or the tires are wearing unevenly.

Keep in mind that your dealer may not be able to do alignments. I know mine would need to outsource to one of their sister shops in the next town.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not too surprised that there's an alignment issue from the factory. It happened with my '08. Take it to a local dealer and see what they say. If they won't cover it I would escalate to Mother Subaru, especially if it's pulling to the side and/or the tires are wearing unevenly.

Keep in mind that your dealer may not be able to do alignments. I know mine would need to outsource to one of their sister shops in the next town.
Appreciate the reply; will call around to the local Subaru service centers and see what they say - good suggestion on contacting SOA if all else fails. Will keep this thread updated, thanks!

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,625 Posts
It happens, there have been vehicles sent to my dealerships from the factory that have been waaaaay out of alignment. The good news is that this IS covered under warranty, I know because I had an alignment completed under warranty for similar circumstances earlier this month.

To get a free alignment under warranty send in something like this when scheduling your appointment:

Requesting that adjustment service be completed per Subaru warranty. Subaru's warranty states, "adjustment services are covered one time only during the first 36 months/36,000 miles of operation, whichever comes first." Source: https://www.subaru.com/owners/vehicle-warranty/warranties-2018.html ISSUE: The steering wheel is offset to the left, above 20 miles per hour there is an excess of noise coming from the tires with intermittent vibration. I request that an adjustment service be performed to the fullest extent permitted under warranty to correct any and all related issues WITH NO OUT-OF-POCKET EXPENSE to customer.

That is what I wrote up for my 2018 Premium Outback recently and it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
328 Posts
Sorry to learn of your problem. That would bug me too. Just for perspective, my 2018 3.6 Touring was delivered with perfect alignment and has stayed that way for two years. First thing I would do is check that tire pressures meet recommendations. Have you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
574 Posts
My 2014 had to be aligned when I got it. The dealership didn't charge.

The alignment on the 2016 I have now was fine but they had to do the steering column replacement prior to me taking delivery and the steering wheel was off-center. Took them about three or four tries but they finally got that corrected.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It happens, there have been vehicles sent to my dealerships from the factory that have been waaaaay out of alignment. The good news is that this IS covered under warranty, I know because I had an alignment completed under warranty for similar circumstances earlier this month.

To get a free alignment under warranty send in something like this when scheduling your appointment:

Requesting that adjustment service be completed per Subaru warranty. Subaru's warranty states, "adjustment services are covered one time only during the first 36 months/36,000 miles of operation, whichever comes first." Source: https://www.subaru.com/owners/vehicle-warranty/warranties-2018.html ISSUE: The steering wheel is offset to the left, above 20 miles per hour there is an excess of noise coming from the tires with intermittent vibration. I request that an adjustment service be performed to the fullest extent permitted under warranty to correct any and all related issues WITH NO OUT-OF-POCKET EXPENSE to customer.

That is what I wrote up for my 2018 Premium Outback recently and it worked like a charm.
Awesome, will definitely include that when scheduling, really appreciate it.

Sorry to learn of your problem. That would bug me too. Just for perspective, my 2018 3.6 Touring was delivered with perfect alignment and has stayed that way for two years. First thing I would do is check that tire pressures meet recommendations. Have you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks. Yea checked with a gauge and onboard tire pressure monitor reads as recommended as specified by Subaru. I was actually hoping it was tire pressure so as to avoid the hassle of having it checked by a dealership.

My 2014 had to be aligned when I got it. The dealership didn't charge.

The alignment on the 2016 I have now was fine but they had to do the steering column replacement prior to me taking delivery and the steering wheel was off-center. Took them about three or four tries but they finally got that corrected.
Thanks for sharing. That sounds like a big job, hoping it doesn't come to that, but it is reassuring to hear that the dealership/service center will not charge for it. Appreciate the response!

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,717 Posts
... they had to do the steering column replacement prior to me taking delivery and the steering wheel was off-center.
The steering column recall only affected MY 2016 Legacys and Outbacks built from February to April, 2016 (along with a few pre-production MY 2017s).

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Premium
358 Posts
Metroflex,
I had significant alignment issues when I took delivery. Gave the dealer multiple opportunities to get it aligned. No luck. I gave up and paid an reputable independent shop (known for their alignment skills) $80-90 for an alignment. Drives great, no problems.

I wrote Subaru, told my story, and the were kind, compensated me fairly. i don’t think my local dealer is the go to place for a quality alignment.

Fast forward, it’s been three years, 45K miles, original tires. Drives great and tires are wearing well. Although a inconvenience, I’m very pleased with our 2017 Outback 3.6 AND their customer service at the mother ship, not necessarily at local dealer.

if you look around my past threads, you will likely see my rant. This outback is the best car I’ve ever owned. Props though to my 1997 Ford F-150, great truck. Still plugging along.

never give up.

Good thoughts - good words - good deeds

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Metroflex,
I had significant alignment issues when I took delivery. Gave the dealer multiple opportunities to get it aligned. No luck. I gave up and paid an reputable independent shop (known for their alignment skills) $80-90 for an alignment. Drives great, no problems.

I wrote Subaru, told my story, and the were kind, compensated me fairly. i don’t think my local dealer is the go to place for a quality alignment.

Fast forward, it’s been three years, 45K miles, original tires. Drives great and tires are wearing well. Although a inconvenience, I’m very pleased with our 2017 Outback 3.6 AND their customer service at the mother ship, not necessarily at local dealer.

if you look around my past threads, you will likely see my rant. This outback is the best car I’ve ever owned. Props though to my 1997 Ford F-150, great truck. Still plugging along.

never give up.

Good thoughts - good words - good deeds
Thanks for sharing; will keep that in mind if none of the service centers will honor the warranty. Glad it worked out for you, btw great pics of your F-150, looks brand new!

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i
21 Posts
I have a 2019 Outback with 24,000 miles - took it to a tire shop to rotate the tires - mechanic showed me excessive wear on the inside of the front tires (negative camber). Anybody have any similar experience? Is this covered under warranty? They recommend 4 new tires and an alignment - at 24,000 miles! Ugh.....

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
413 Posts
Usually they'll do one(1) alignment under warranty, within the 36mo/36k bumper to bumper. - Assuming of course there's nothing damaged, from an accident, or off-roading which might be apparent.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Never hurts to ask, but my guess is going to be -- whether it's true or not -- the driver hit a big pothole or something else to throw it out of alignment and was operator error, not covered by warranty.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,625 Posts
I have a 2019 Outback with 24,000 miles - took it to a tire shop to rotate the tires - mechanic showed me excessive wear on the inside of the front tires (negative camber). Anybody have any similar experience? Is this covered under warranty? They recommend 4 new tires and an alignment - at 24,000 miles! Ugh.....
I merged your thread with another on the same subject, I will copy below what I related earlier:

Requesting that adjustment service be completed per Subaru warranty. Subaru's warranty states, "adjustment services are covered one time only during the first 36 months/36,000 miles of operation, whichever comes first." Source: Vehicle Warranty | Subaru of America ISSUE: The steering wheel is offset to the left, above 20 miles per hour there is an excess of noise coming from the tires with intermittent vibration. I request that an adjustment service be performed to the fullest extent permitted under warranty to correct any and all related issues WITH NO OUT-OF-POCKET EXPENSE to customer.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Outback Limited no Eyesight
117 Posts
My 2017 was out and started wearing tires fast. At 12,000 mi I brought it to a different Subaru dealer from where I bought it and they told me that one alignment is allowed under warranty. Had it done for no charge. Check your warranty booklet, it's in there. Mine still wears tires fast, bit that's a different topic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts