Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New member here! Today I bought a brand new 2013 Outback 2.5 with 3 miles on it. Well, after test drive and the dealership doing there thing I left the lot with about 10 miles. Everything feels great and is as expected, however after the ride home which is about 10 miles I got out of the car and smelled burning tire. It wasn't very strong, but on a scale of 1 to 10 I would put it at a 6. My thought is that the new tires, new engine, etc just need some miles to really break in. The engine noise seems a little loud but that might be normal considering I am used to a bigger and quieter 3.0 liter accord.

The dealership said they would call me in a couple of days to see how things are going so I guess I will wait until then unless the smell gets stronger. Is the smell normal? Does it take some time to "break in" a new car?

·
Registered
714 Posts
It probably wasn't "burning tire"; rather, it was probably the protective coating of cosmoline (or whatever they use now) that Subaru puts on some of the engine components at the factory. Both of our cars had this to some degree -- less because they came off the lot with more than 3 miles, but it was still noticeable. HPH

·
Registered
187 Posts
I got mine with 2 or 3 miles on it. It had that smell as well. There would be times that I could smell it after the car had 700 miles. I think that it goes away more with the quantity of heat and cooling cycles vs miles driven.

But to answer your question, the smell is perfectly normal. The parts and cars could be sitting around for a long time before they are sold and no one wants to buy a new car that already has surface rust.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies! that makes me feel a lot better. so a follow up question...are boxter engines generally a bit louder at lower rpms? i sometimes hear like a whirring noise when driving slowly...

·
Registered
572 Posts
The Whirring noise (aka the wooden train whistle noise) is the CVT transmission. Also at Idle especially on start up the boxer engine is a little thrashy and loud. Once it settles into idle it should be really quiet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Whirring noise (aka the wooden train whistle noise) is the CVT transmission. Also at Idle especially on start up the boxer engine is a little thrashy and loud. Once it settles into idle it should be really quiet.
good to know.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've never heard the whistle I keep reading about in these threads

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've never heard the whistle I keep reading about in these threads
I guess I wouldn't describe what I am hearing as a whistle so much as a whhhrrrrr noise. Almost like the engine is struggling a bit.

I probably shouldn't worry though since it has a total of 20 miles...

·
Registered
187 Posts
These cars really take at least 1,000 miles before they start feeling and acting broken in. Even the first 200 miles shows a lot of positive change. Try not to form any solid opinions or complaints until you get some miles on it because things only get better from here.

Edited to Add: I do notice the engine is a little louder sounding then a lot of other cars. Sound decibels are still very quiet but the engine just has a unique sound that stands out. You get used to it with time. I don't have the CVT but I imagine there is some noise with that too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My 08 smelled like rubber especially after highway driving until I corrected the alignment, see my last post for the topic "2007 vs. 2008 vs. 2012+ (for Subaru Engineers, take notes)"... Enjoy!:)

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Coming from diesels and 1970's GM cars and trucks I never understand people saying these cars are loud lol.
At cold start up I would actually argue that my 2010 2.5 would have given my 1983 TD a run for its money on the loud scale. However the TD has the 2.5 beat hands down when it comes to large cloud of smoke out of the exhaust pipe.

Funny how the new 2010 gets about the same mileage the old TD got weighs about the same however the new 2010 is WAY WAY WAY!!!!! FASTER!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had the burning tire smell too the first couple of days or so, it went away. Coming from owning Nissans for the past several years I have to adjust to how Subarus are... I am paying attention to every little noise coming from the car so i know whats normal and not.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I know what you mean about the 'feel' of the 2.5 engine. We have had many Acura, Honda and Nissan products in our house. The 2.5 does feel a little 'rough' in comparison to the previous mentioned brands but it does seem to get less noticeable with time and miles. Let us know if your perception changes.
Paul

·
Registered
396 Posts
I actually like the way the 2.5 sounds. It's no hemi, but it has a nice growl as opposed to the other higher pitched 4 cylinder cars I've been in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The smell is normal. I just bought a '13 Outback, and the dealer recommended that we drive the first 50+ miles with the air on recirc so that the smell wasn't sucked into the car as we drove. He said the engine was coated with something like cosmoline, and that it had to burn off before the smell would go away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a '11 OB with the 2.5, and yeah I would say it makes more noise than the average engine. I really noticed it after I first got it, but don't really think anything of it now.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
^ LOL wife kinda likes it. When we first started dating I had the 2001 2.5 5spd Legacy GT Limited. Very nice car loaded with all the nice stuff leather power nice sound system etc.

She had bought a 2001 Jetta top of the line leather - everything 5spd MT 1.8t. All our road trips and adventures were done in the Legacy she liked that car FAR FAR FAR more. She also liked the growl LOL. We still have the 1.8T today 55,000 miles on it hardly ever gets driven. The old 2001 GT was sold in 2010 with 180,000 miles on it and replaced with a 2010 2.5 CVT Outback. LOL

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
23 Participants
adgjqetuo
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing