Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback 2.5L 5-speed Wagon
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, today I purchased my first Subaru, a 2000 Outback 2.5L 5-Speed Wagon with 177000 miles. I have to admit that I have not been a Subaru enthusiast so I know very little about them, and now I need to know more.

Can anyone here point me in the direction of some web resources for me to read up on?

I'd like to learn everything I can about these cars since I intend to keep this one for a good long while. It already needs some attention. It has an oil leak that I have not had the opportunity to track down yet, but wherever it is, it throws oil all over the engine bay. The shifter is sloppy as **** (a good 5-6 inches of play left and right while in gear!) and I'd like to replace it with a short throw. It would be helpful to know which parts are common to the Outback and any other Subaru model, and which ones are specific. I'd like to know the common things to keep an eye on and some good places to source parts.

Obviously, I'll be Googling for days so I'm not expecting anyone to do all the leg work for me... I just thought I'd ask the people who already know!

Any and all help will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
cars101.com for historical research, trim info etc.

Congrats on the oil leak, read up on head gasket problems in these cars, the oil separator plate and valve cover gaskets. Your oil leak is all but guaranteed to be one of those three.

Don't waste your time with the built in search tool, just use google and specify this site for best results.

Your car will be due for a timing belt at 210k miles assuming that it was already done at 105k miles. Might as well put it on the calendar now.

Shifter is probably nothing beyond worn bushings. Short-shift kits are available at least for some years, can't tell you anything about the '00.

I see that you're in Austin- I suggest that you make friends with cardoc. He is one of our most prolific mechanical contributors and also works in a shop in Austin.

Good luck & have fun!

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,195 Posts
First off, hello! Go get your car dirty!

Some other resources:
Scoobymods.com
Legacygt.com
There is many more, but my brain is not working.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I honestly didn't expect any replies this fast! Already reading!

I take it that, for the most part, the Legacy and the Outback are the same car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ohh, and I did the whole "why the heck won't the parking lights turn off?" thing right when I first got home... glad to get that one out of the way!

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
The Outback was born as a trim level of the Legacy. A year later, the sales were so strong that it became its own model.

An Outback is essentially a Legacy on stilts. Roughly a 2" body lift. Apart from suspension components, they are essentially identical and parts interchange follows down that path.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm... 177000 miles on an interference motor with a rubber timing belt and no record of it having been replaced... I guess I know what my first project is.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Hmm... 177000 miles on an interference motor with a rubber timing belt and no record of it having been replaced... I guess I know what my first project is.
Wow, arriving at that conclusion on the day of purchase AND beating the virgin switch via self-help... there is hope for you yet, grasshopper :)

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
Does your muffler 'whistle' under hard acceleration?
Do you have wind noise near the A pillar?
Which stereo do you have? How many speakers does your car have?
Do you have a full sized spare tire?

Lets see if we can get all the usual things out of the way in less than 24 hrs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does your muffler 'whistle' under hard acceleration?
There is a strange "whistling" noise, but I'm not sure I would have attributed it to the muffler.

Do you have wind noise near the A pillar?
Yes!

Which stereo do you have? How many speakers does your car have?
AM/FM Casette plus what appears to be an add-on CD player /w 4 speakers (two in the front doors, two in the rear doors) unless I'm not seeing the other 4

Do you have a full sized spare tire?
Nope, it's a mickey mouse. :(

Would love to know more about the muffler sound and the a-pillar wind noise.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,489 Posts
Its always a good thing when someone comes to the forum for the first time and is met with comedy.

The effort you put in to learning about your car will determine its lifespan. You found the right place. Whether its maintainence or repair, modification or upgrades, we've got the answers or can point you to a correct path.

If you want a full rundown of what the car needs or may need, the shop I work in is in Pflugerville. PM me for the address. I will be out for 2 months starting Friday, but as of now my schedule for this week isn't booked heavy.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
A-pillar wind noise - EASY FIX!

Put the windows down the whole way.

Squeeze the rubber together (the black triangle behind the mirror, the channel the windows slides through) as tightly as you can.

DO NOT close the doors by pushing on the windows.

Problem solved in 5 minutes. :)

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
welcome to the forum from a neighbor in Cedar Park! Your enthusiasm is infectious:) Enjoy your Suby!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello all, today I purchased my first Subaru, a 2000 Outback 2.5L 5-Speed Wagon with 177000 miles. I have to admit that I have not been a Subaru enthusiast so I know very little about them, and now I need to know more.

Can anyone here point me in the direction of some web resources for me to read up on?

I'd like to learn everything I can about these cars since I intend to keep this one for a good long while. It already needs some attention. It has an oil leak that I have not had the opportunity to track down yet, but wherever it is, it throws oil all over the engine bay. The shifter is sloppy as **** (a good 5-6 inches of play left and right while in gear!) and I'd like to replace it with a short throw. It would be helpful to know which parts are common to the Outback and any other Subaru model, and which ones are specific. I'd like to know the common things to keep an eye on and some good places to source parts.

Obviously, I'll be Googling for days so I'm not expecting anyone to do all the leg work for me... I just thought I'd ask the people who already know!

Any and all help will be much appreciated!
For the sloppy shifter check out Subaru Legacy International • View topic - DIY: B&M Short Throw Shifter install (All 5MT subarus!!) look at the pic titled 1. AWD model. part14 is usually the the culprit

·
Registered
'03 L L Bean - LOVE IT!!
110 Posts
A-pillar wind noise - EASY FIX!

Put the windows down the whole way.

Squeeze the rubber together (the black triangle behind the mirror, the channel the windows slides through) as tightly as you can.

DO NOT close the doors by pushing on the windows.

Problem solved in 5 minutes. :)
Oh, we're SOOOO doing this when we get home!!! We have that too!!!

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,113 Posts
I bought my car new in 01 and have not found a more comprehensive Subaru site with the most friendly and knowledgeable people anywhere. You are in good hands here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts