Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be picking my new 2013 Outback from the dealer in an hour or so and was wondering if there I should be driving it a certain way to properly break it in? I know with different bikes, they have suggestions to properly break the motor in with keeping the rpms below a certain point. Just wondering if there was anything I should be watching for in a new car?

·
Registered
16,964 Posts

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Going to be picking my new 2013 Outback from the dealer in an hour or so and was wondering if there I should be driving it a certain way to properly break it in? I know with different bikes, they have suggestions to properly break the motor in with keeping the rpms below a certain point. Just wondering if there was anything I should be watching for in a new car?
You will get all sorts of crazy suggestions however I highly suggest you read your owners Manual the 2013 engine is all new and the only people who really really know the answer are the people who designed and built it. Which case your owners manual is your best friend for when and what you have serviced and how your to treat your car in the early miles.

FYI Dealers have no reason to follow Subaru maint schedules given their number one Goal is to generate income in the shop. So treat your dealer suggested mileage package service intervals as money making cash cows and always 100% follow your Subaru owners manual regarding servicing etc.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Don't drive it like you stole it for about 1000 miles. Manual says to keep RPMs below 4k for the first thousand miles as well (unless in the instance of emergencies).

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
There is a section in your Owner's Manual about the break in procedure.

Read it. Do it.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Which Subi are you getting 2.5i or 3.6R?
Just follow the manual recommendations for the break-in period.
I would recommend to check your engine oil after 1K miles.
In my 3.6R it was dirty as brown mud which prompted to change it before recommended 3K miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
8 Participants
iainb
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing