Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. Bought a new 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R two years ago, and for the most part, am happy with the car. It currently has 32K miles, two-thirds of which are highway miles. The vehicle still has the original tires, 226/60-18 Bridgestone Dueler HPs. Somewhere around 25K miles I started noticing a cyclical noise, every revolution of the wheel, and assumed it may be a bad belt in a tire. Noise has gotten worse, especially on asphalt when it is hot out. Rotated tires twice since then but noise does not seem to come from any specific area indicating that there may be an issue with all four tires? There is approximately 2/32 tread remaining above the wear indicators. I've rotated the tires numerous times since owning, and tire wear is the same on all four. Are these tires junk to begin with? I believe I may have read something to that effect on these forums. What would be a good purchase for a new set? Snow traction is important but I'm finding cyclical tire noise is really annoying. I see that Subaru is putting Yokohama tires on the '20 Outbacks.
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Greetings. Bought a new 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R two years ago, and for the most part, am happy with the car. It currently has 32K miles, two-thirds of which are highway miles. The vehicle still has the original tires, 226/60-18 Bridgestone Dueler HPs. Somewhere around 25K miles I started noticing a cyclical noise, every revolution of the wheel, and assumed it may be a bad belt in a tire. Noise has gotten worse, especially on asphalt when it is hot out. Rotated tires twice since then but noise does not seem to come from any specific area indicating that there may be an issue with all four tires? There is approximately 2/32 tread remaining above the wear indicators. I've rotated the tires numerous times since owning, and tire wear is the same on all four. Are these tires junk to begin with? I believe I may have read something to that effect on these forums. What would be a good purchase for a new set? Snow traction is important but I'm finding cyclical tire noise is really annoying. I see that Subaru is putting Yokohama tires on the '20 Outbacks.
Thanks
225/60-18 I should do a better job proof-reading before I post. Sorry

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,470 Posts
Thanks
People will have opinions about anything and everything, and many don't mind presenting their opinions as facts. IMO, the Duelers are fine for everyday use, but, that said, there are others that will be better suited for snow and other specific challenges.

I doubt all four tires would be causing that noise, but one tire might. At any rate, your tread is getting pretty thin and you should be looking at replacing them now or very soon, even if the tires are not the source of the noise you're hearing. This is especially true if you might get heavy rains, and getting new tires before the first chance of snow would definitely be wise. While you're at the tire store, have them look things over to see if they can diagnose the source of that noise - that needs to be checked.

The Yokohama Geolander GO15s I got a few years ago to replace the OE Duelers after 30,000 miles are terrific in snow, are no noisier than the Duelers were (and they weren't bad), but cost 1 to 2 MPG in fuel economy. After more than 40,000 miles they still have a substantial looking amount of tread left, but it has been a while since their tread depth was last measured.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,927 Posts
The OE Duelers are adequate all-season tires for street and highway use, but they are at best only 40,000 mile rated tires (per Bridgestone). There are lots of replacement choices, and perhaps better tire values, depending on your typical driving environment.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5
105 Posts
They're not a great tire. They're good for MPG, paved roads and almost 30k miles, that's about it. Definitely not good in snow, loose dirt or mud. There are better choices for less money.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
338 Posts
I had some on a work truck once, decent, but not overly impressive.

Switched to Falken and happy ever since.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
730 Posts
We were unhappy with the Duelers on our 19 because one had an unrepairable slice in the tread on a dirt and gravel road that was frequented by 18 wheelers, minivans, sedans, you name it, so not an obscure road by any means. Pretty embarrassing when your Subaru can't handle a routine road because of the tires. So far the Yokohamas on our 20 have been better.

·
Registered
385 Posts
With that many miles on the Duelers , I would change them and consider yourself lucky. Most forum members (not all) are unhappy with the Duelers . Subaru made a big mistake not using Yokahama (the typical Subaru tire.)

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
They are not the greatest tire but a decent tire for the money. I've used them on multiple vehicles and never had an issue. Found them just fine in the rain and the snow.

As far as your noise, have you checked the tires to make sure there is a nail or bolt in the tread that is making noise as it wears down?

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i
10 Posts
My personal experience with the stock Bridgestone Duelers was not good. I found the wet weather performance to not only be unacceptable, but dangerous. There are a A LOT of better tires out there for the money!

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,994 Posts
+1 on them being ok for most conditions (except snow, IME), but road noise was pretty bad by the time mine were worn that much. As for a once-per-rev noise, I usually find something embedded in a tire with that symptom, like a nail or tack (sometimes it can be hard to spot, but usually causes a slow leak). Sometimes it can be difficult to tell exactly where it's coming from, so I'd just try to inspect the treads of all 4 (assuming you didn't check them carefully when you did the last rotation).

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
590 Posts
I ran my 1st set to about 35k, got a nail in one so had to replace them. Picked up a used set of OEM duellers with 11k on them and have put about 15k on them and they’re getting noisy again. Still do the job but they’re on their way out. They’re not a bad tire but you’re lucky to get 40k out of them honestly.
Going to 235/60 next- either a Yokohama or a continental tire, mostlikely a continental crosscontact lx25

·
Registered
385 Posts
So far my favorite tire is the Yokohama GEOLANDAR A/T G015

I have them on my 'other' car and they are incredible.

Blows the doors off the equivalent Michelin

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,470 Posts
We were unhappy with the Duelers on our 19 because one had an unrepairable slice in the tread on a dirt and gravel road that was frequented by 18 wheelers, minivans, sedans, you name it, so not an obscure road by any means. Pretty embarrassing when your Subaru can't handle a routine road because of the tires. So far the Yokohamas on our 20 have been better.
I was actually pleasantly surprised how well the Duelers handled a steep, muddy road going up a hillside in WV when they were still fairly new.

·
Registered
16 Impreza 5dr Sport 19 Outback LTD
29 Posts
… although my Duelers are barely new in the OB, i have prior experience with this tire / brand in our old Nissan X Trail, can't complain - used these tries for almost ~ 45000 kms, city and long trips during summer till we sold the SUV. imo their perfect for daily use (highway / paved / wet), won't trust performance on mud and snow. i trust Bridgestone Blizzaks during winter, we have -40 degC temps during Jan to Feb in Manitoba, tire compound still feels like bubble gum during harsh conditions

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey people; thank you very much for all of your responses. I guess I'll consider myself blessed for the 32K that I got out of the tires and look for something different

·
Registered
2016 OB Limited 3.6R
229 Posts
I think they wear well and so far no weather cracking.. but imo they are not very good on anything besides asphalt. I wish they would wear out quicker so I could justify swapping them out lol...

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
943 Posts
OEM tires are garbage.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Outback (green)
200 Posts
I got 35K miles out of the Duelers.

I didn't have the complaints that many have expressed.

Typical oem tires. Sufficient, not superlative. Relatively short-lived. Predictable enough in a number of weather and road conditions.

Replaced with Michelin Premiere LTX, which were totally shitty. This was surprising to me as I use nothing but Michelins on my motorcycles. Only got 25k miles and the treads were falling off wholesale. Many others have reported the same.

Running Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S tires now. Hadn't heard much about them but they've been wearing and performing well in the last 15K miles.

Jason

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6
133 Posts
I have 45000 miles on my Duelers. Could get 60000 out of them. I plan on using them through the summer. I have a like new set with rims that I got off Craigslist for $500. So I'm gonna be with the Duelers for awhile.

My only complaints, they are soft. I've plugged three holes in them in them.

Snow and ice, I've gone as fast as I would go with any other tire without issue. I swear I could've made it up to the ski mountain on bald tires in this car. Of course I wouldn't do that.

I've ran all sorts of brands. Conti's, Yoko's, etc. on some nice cars. The Duelers do just fine. Except the few punctures which I learned how to fix myself because the tire shop was waffling about fixing them. So easy to do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts