Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got about 41,000 on my RE92A's. They look to have a good 5, maybe 10k at most left in them. I'm on the fence about whether or not I should wear them out or switch with winter approaching, and I live in a snowy climate. I've only owned the car for about six months.

I stopped at two tire shops in my town, both of whom I trust, and they are both recommending Bridgestone Ecopia EP422s for a good and reliable combination of efficiency and snow traction. I was told by both shops I should see a 1-2 mpg increase in mileage in addition to better traction and a smoother ride as compared to the RE92As. The one shop owner has an OB himself, and he swears by the Ecopia tire, which he himself uses. He said he was very skeptical at first being in a snowy climate with a LRR tire, but he has been quite impressed.

Does anyone else have experience with Ecopia tires?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I bought the Ecopias and am happy so far. It hasn't snowed here yet so that could change but so far so good. They do have a softer ride than other tires and it takes a little getting used to.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up putting off the new all-season purchase for a while and settled on getting a dedicated set of snow tires. I'm going to try and put another 5-10k on my RE92As before replacing them now that I have good winter tires.

As far as the EP422 vs the Turanza Serenity Plus, I talked to the tire shop about those, and they seemed to recommend the Ecopia, although, they didn't have a lot of experience with the Serenity Plus yet, just the Serenity. The tire guy I talked to seemed to prefer symmetrical tread designs, which the Turanza does not have, which reduces flexibility when rotating, or so I'm told. The tire shop owner has an Outback himself, and he has been very pleased with the Ecopia on his own vehicle. Although, it seems the Ecopia has a slightly higher price, and a slightly lower UTQG rating, so when it comes time for me to replace the RE92A's, I'll be doing more research.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've been on mine for the last year. I did pick up a couple of MPGs. They have a very soft ride, which can be either good or bad depending on your preference. I commute up to Santa Fe, from Albuquerque, and they've been great in the snow. No issues at all.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
I've spent a few hours recently deciding on a decent tire researching and asking questions on here. The Ecopia is what I came up with.... I'll be ordering them in a week or so.
Good choice - some Firestone stores have a "buy 3 and get 1 for free" for these Ecopias... I would check that out, before ordering on TireRack or elsewhere on the web...If you walk into Firestone store and ask for buy 3 get 1 free, you may get it even if it's not advertised by that store. I've "pulled that one" on my Ecopias for Honda few months ago at nearby Firestone store....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have them on my 03 LL Bean.

Purchased them last November - now have 5000 miles.
Driving style - city + highway, old man (not lead foot, macho, or World Rally Cup)

Did very well in snows this winter.
Did very well in rain.
Very quiet.
MPG is up about 2mpg.

Would purchase again.

·
Registered
713 Posts

Driving style - city + highway, old man (not lead foot, macho, or World Rally Cup)

Did very well in rain.
Very quiet.
MPG is up about 2mpg.

Would purchase again.
Awesome. I've been happy with mine.

·
Premium Member
2,770 Posts
Is this what you mean? From TireRack:

Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia

The Tribeca will need tires later this year. I see this tire highly rated on TireRack. Can you summarize for me its best features? My wife drives it mostly in town, occasional long trip, too, little off-pavement. We have no snow around here and virtually no rain either. With my OB going through AT tires the way it does, I want on the Tribeca something that will survive for a while in the hot and arid desert and that will provide nice and quiet ride. Maximizing mpg would be a plus, too.

·
Premium Member
2,770 Posts
I guess you typed this while I posted my question, so I am just going to bump it;)

·
Registered
6 Posts

Did very well in rain.
Very quiet.
MPG is up about 2mpg.

Would purchase again.
Just went on a 500 mile trip:
  1. Drove speed limit 55, 60, 65, 70 - but not passing everyone, rpm under 3000 entire trip.
  2. Car is tuned, full synthetics.
  3. Shell V-Power 93 only.
  4. 28.5 mpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
timmorrison
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing