Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 OB Gen5 SE Premium
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just collected my new SO. The car comes with Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport tyres 225/60r18 100V. I've also ordered a spare wheel kit and have searched for a Dueler H/P tyre to fit, but have found that there are now none available in the UK or on any online sites like MyTyres.

I emailed Bridgestone who confirmed that "The Tyre specified is about to be discontinued with no direct replacement, no residual is planned to enter the UK either regrettably. The nearest alternative is a Turanza T005 100V".

I wanted to use the spare wheel as part of a 5 wheel rotation pattern, but I'm concerned that this different tyre model may cause issues with the AWD transmission if I do this, having heard how sensitive the Subaru AWD system is. My Subaru dealer assured me that it would be OK , however he's in sales and not a technician, so I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,422 Posts
It really depends on how similar the fifth tire is to the other 4 in terms of rotations per mile:

two tires of the same size can be different enough that it's a slight mismatch when new

The odd tire might have faster or slower wear rate than the others.

The odd tire might have more traction or less traction than the other ones, making ABS and stability control not quite as effective.

Will it be a disaster? No, but it may be an unnecessary compromise. The safe choice would be to just rotate the 4 tires.

·
Registered
2020 OB Gen5 SE Premium
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It really depends on how similar the fifth tire is to the other 4 in terms of rotations per mile:

two tires of the same size can be different enough that it's a slight mismatch when new

The odd tire might have faster or slower wear rate than the others.

The odd tire might have more traction or less traction than the other ones, making ABS and stability control not quite as effective.

Will it be a disaster? No, but it may be an unnecessary compromise. The safe choice would be to just rotate the 4 tires.
Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

I've been in touch with Subaru UK who also confirmed that view. Although Bridgestone suggested the Turanza was the nearest match tyre, it clearly isn't not quite close enough for the OB. I've got a new alloy (for the spare) arriving tomorrow. My plan is to 'wing it', with fingers crossed, and no spare, resorting to simply calling Subaru Assist if I get a flat. Then, in November, I'll put on some winter tyres (x5) for the season, and include a matching spare. The following Spring it'll be back to the Duelers and I'll keep one winter wheel/tyre as a temporary spare just in case, until the following Autumn. Eventually, when the current Duelers need replacing I hope to be 'all-square'.

Clearly my OCD is evident :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in a similar situation have sustained a screw in the tyre on my 70 plate Outback and unable to find a replacement in the UK, I did find a new one available from Germany so will go that route.

·
Registered
2020 OB Gen5 SE Premium
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in a similar situation have sustained a screw in the tyre on my 70 plate Outback and unable to find a replacement in the UK, I did find a new one available from Germany so will go that route.
I ended up buying one of these BRIDGESTONE DUELER H/P SPORT 225 60 R18 100V - b/b/71 dB - Summer Tire : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive They had two instore and now have one left. I was a bit dubious as they're not a tyre supplier but a trading company who seem to sell everything. But I gave them a ring and they were helpful= based in B'ham. They even sent a runner to nip down to their store to read off the DOT on the tyre (it was 2018) for me. Anyway I ordered it and it seems really fine. Lables on, brand new, etc. I've put it on as a spare in the boot, but I'd be happy using it.

Before that, I thought I'd got a better deal on Amazon as they were offering Dueller HPs from their EU store. It was annoying to have one delivered and to find when delivered it was an Alenza Bridgetone, so I had all the hassle of returning it and refunding. 6 weeks later they had the gall to say i hadn't returned it, but I had kept the Hermes drop-off receipt, and they were very apologetic. Just make sure you double check it is a Dueller HP Sport you're getting from Germany and not a modern equivalent. Bridgetone Europe told me that the Dueller HP, in my size, was discontinued and they couldn't source one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ended up buying one of these BRIDGESTONE DUELER H/P SPORT 225 60 R18 100V - b/b/71 dB - Summer Tire : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive They had two instore and now have one left. I was a bit dubious as they're not a tyre supplier but a trading company who seem to sell everything. But I gave them a ring and they were helpful= based in B'ham. They even sent a runner to nip down to their store to read off the DOT on the tyre (it was 2018) for me. Anyway I ordered it and it seems really fine. Lables on, brand new, etc. I've put it on as a spare in the boot, but I'd be happy using it.

Before that, I thought I'd got a better deal on Amazon as they were offering Dueller HPs from their EU store. It was annoying to have one delivered and to find when delivered it was an Alenza Bridgetone, so I had all the hassle of returning it and refunding. 6 weeks later they had the gall to say i hadn't returned it, but I had kept the Hermes drop-off receipt, and they were very apologetic. Just make sure you double check it is a Dueller HP Sport you're getting from Germany and not a modern equivalent. Bridgetone Europe told me that the Dueller HP, in my size, was discontinued and they couldn't source one.
Thanks for that very useful, there they were ... gone.
Just hope I don't run into the delivery issue to the Isle of Wight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The tyre was delivered today and is as described, arrived a little too late to get it fitted but will get that done tomorrow.

·
Registered
2019 MY Outback 2.5 Sport (Touring?) and 2018 MY XV 2.0
40 Posts
I have 4 Duellers 2256/60/18 available for sale in Bavaria. Took them off my OB at about 2000 kms. Got new wheels altogether. Also Subaru rims 2018 and 2019 and Goodyear G-1 winter tires almost new. Could provide more details if needed.

·
Registered
2020 OB Gen5 SE Premium
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have 4 Duellers 2256/60/18 available for sale in Bavaria. Took them off my OB at about 2000 kms. Got new wheels altogether. Also Subaru rims 2018 and 2019 and Goodyear G-1 winter tires almost new. Could provide more details if needed.
Shame the post-Brexit postage charges are now crazy with import VAT, handling fees and the rest. I've been looking for a set of Gen5 OB alloys for my winter wheels. I thought I'd sourced a set of four from a breaker's yard in Spain last week, but the postage was £60 per wheel!. Ooouch!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts