Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lost 3 of the 4 brand new Bridgestone tires with less than 19,000 miles. Bad luck or has anyone else had similar issues?

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,500 Posts
I've lost 3 of the 4 brand new Bridgestone tires with less than 19,000 miles. Bad luck or has anyone else had similar issues?
Lost them? Did they fall off and roll away, or did you misplace them while rotating the tires?

j/k ;)

What happened to them? Unrepairable punctures? Tread worn out? Something else?

I think I've seen a few reports here about short tread life, but my stock Bridgestone tires were replaced a little early, at 30,000 miles, with about 5/32" tread remaining, so I presume they could have gone another 5,000 or so miles if we weren't headed into snow country, which seems reasonable for OE tires. Never got a puncture.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
23k on mine, lots of tread life left.

They are firmly attached to the wheels which are firmly attached to the the car, have yet to lose one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had the same issue with Subaru Outback 2016 with factory attached Bridgestone tires. I live in Ottawa, Canada and replaced all '4' tires around 32000 kms (~19800 miles). I contacted dealer and they were helpless and mentioned that soft compound could be one possible issue for the quick wear.

I replaced with new Michelin Latitude Tour HP summer tires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think it's a problem across the board for OEM tires. Our Honda Odyssey came new with Continental 70,000 mile tires, and they were gone at just over 30,000 miles. We rotated them every 5 - 7K miles, and it's not like we were out hot rodding the van. I talked to the dealer about it, and he said I could call Continental, but even though the same tire bought at at tire store would have pro-rated replacement value, OEM's do not. Well, that's a crock. Now I've got less than half the supposed life out of the tire, and I have to pay full replacement. It's not like I got them for free. The price of the tires is taken into consideration with the price of the car. Where's my incentive to ever buy Continental tires again? I won't even buy a new car that comes with them any more.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think it's a problem across the board for OEM tires. Our Honda Odyssey came new with Continental 70,000 mile tires, and they were gone at just over 30,000 miles. We rotated them every 5 - 7K miles, and it's not like we were out hot rodding the van. I talked to the dealer about it, and he said I could call Continental, but even though the same tire bought at at tire store would have pro-rated replacement value, OEM's do not. Well, that's a crock. Now I've got less than half the supposed life out of the tire, and I have to pay full replacement. It's not like I got them for free. The price of the tires is taken into consideration with the price of the car. Where's my incentive to ever buy Continental tires again? I won't even buy a new car that comes with them any more.
True. Even I have decided not to consider Bridgestone tires again.

·
Registered
2016 Outback
92 Posts
Yes, mine were shot at 22k...I complained to the dealer, who called Bridgestone, who offered me a partial warranty credit (laughably low, maybe $15 per tire if I bought another set of their brand) then called Subaru of North America's customer service line and complained about having to replace tires that were less than a year old. Subaru sent me a customer goodwill credit of $600, which can be used for any parts/ service on that specific car at any subaru shop. Don't hesitate to contact them, they will do their best to make it right when the dealer/ oem does not.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring Outback
26 Posts
I also just got a new 2018 Touring Outback. I live in Arizona so I won't need winter tires atm but have been poking around for some new tires. I will probably put on a lift kit (LP Adventure) when I put on new tires and wheels.

I have been looking at LT245/65R17 BFGoodrich KO2 All Terrain tires at some point but wanted to know if anyone had used these? I was curious about the road noise.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had the same issue with Subaru Outback 2016 with factory attached Bridgestone tires. I live in Ottawa, Canada and replaced all '4' tires around 32000 kms (~19800 miles). I contacted dealer and they were helpless and mentioned that soft compound could be one possible issue for the quick wear.

I replaced with new Michelin Latitude Tour HP summer tires.
I came on this morning here specifically to ask about tread life of the Bridgestone tires, but decided to do a search first. I'm in Ottawa as well and just swapped over to my winters, the shop owner informed me that we'd get 1 more summer out of them before needing to replace them. This floored me as we purchased our 2017 Outback in October 2016, I had the dealer install winter tires on delivery. So the Bridgestone tires have seriously only been used from March or April (can't recall when I swapped) to now. We have a whopping 21,000km (13,000 miles) in the year since purchasing the Outback. Granted a good amount of mileage was accumulated during the summer with our road trip to (and around) PEI. But even with that said, we're looking at a max of 15,000km (9,300 miles) on the summers (and that's me likely over estimating); so these tires will conceivably require replacement after only 30,000km (18,600 miles).

The shop owner did explain to me that the tires are likely of a softer compound resulting in earlier wear, but this is just ridiculous in my eyes.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,700 Posts
The OEM Bridgestone tires have this reputation for short life and mine were also going earlier than expected. Nothing horrendous since my expectations weren't all that high based on what I read here. I swapped mine out at around 25k for the Michelin AS which is so much better.

What really blows is that there is no pro rated warranty on the Btidgestones from SOA but if I were to buy them from a tire dealer I'd have that coverage.

The AWD Is harder on tires so good tire management practices are essential but the OEM tires leave a lot to be desired. You wonder how much more it would cost to have the Michelin or Pirelli or Yokahama as an option with a warranty.

·
Registered
2016, Outback, 3.6, White
12 Posts
My 2016 3.6 Bridgestone lasted 56000 miles. They were in bad shape with odd wear due to me over inflating or letting be under inflated. That is on me, but the tread wore fairly evenly on all 4 tires.

Driven mostly in greater chicago area since new. Tires crisscrossed the western US to the pacific and up twice on some sweet road trips.

IMO i Still think the tires kinda sucked but they did the job prior to 35000 miles.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6
148 Posts
Mine have 33,000. I'm guessing they have at least another 20,000 miles left on them. Heck, I even got a new set off craigslist for $400. The complete set. I'm not sure why the complaints about these tires. Maybe it's because they are spendy and there are other tires that are better for less $$.

Most tire issues are caused by improper tire pressure or alignment. I know from past experience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts