Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i, FB25B H4, TR580 CVT
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My Outback is a 2018 2.5i with absolutely no options, base trim level. This means that, while the spaces for fog lights are present on the front bumper, none come installed with the vehicle. I am told, however, that the wiring harnesses corresponding to the fog lights offered in higher trim packages were not removed from the base model.

I would like to exploit this to install my own custom lights using the existing harness. To my knowledge, this is simply a pair of 12V connectors (positive and negative), so splicing in and using aftermarket LEDs should be no problem. However, neither the turn signal stalk nor the switchboard on the left side of the footwell show any indication of a controller being present for this harness. I realize such a feature would be pointless to expose to the user of a car that was never meant to include fog lights, but if the harness is still there, surely something is determining whether it should be powered or not. Is this correct? If so, where can I find this mechanism, and how may I tap into it to install my own toggle switch?

Page 3-61 of my manual does mention a switch on the signal stalk, but that is accompanied by "if equipped" and the diagram provided does not match what I see in my (obviously not equipped) Outback.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,363 Posts
The fog light accessory kit from Subaru contained a switch that goes in the switch panel on the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel. The connector is held in place behind that panel right now… so it’s there.

you will need a relay too. Here are the instructions for the Subaru accessory kit, shows where the switch harness is, and which relay.

Here are the instructions for the Subaru accessory kit

thread with the OE fog light switch options (the Subaru switch is expensive though)

some threads mentioned adding a fuse, but that was a 2019, which is a little different. If needed, here is the fuse (just in case)

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i, FB25B H4, TR580 CVT
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fog light accessory kit from Subaru contained a switch that goes in the switch panel on the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel. The connector is held in place behind that panel right now… so it’s there.

you will need a relay too. Here are the instructions for the Subaru accessory kit, shows where the switch harness is, and which relay.

Here are the instructions for the Subaru accessory kit

thread with the OE fog light switch options (the Subaru switch is expensive though)

some threads mentioned adding a fuse, but that was a 2019, which is a little different. If needed, here is the fuse (just in case)

Great, thank you. Exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
5,379 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Premium | 2007 Outback 2.5i
353 Posts
I installed the DiodeDynamics fog light kit and love it. If you don't want to spend that much I still have my OEM fog assemblies in excellent shape. If you're interested in them let me know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts